From the article: The Pros and Cons of E-Cigarettes
The e-cigarette, short for electronic cigarette, is a battery powered device designed to help you quit smoking. Many people say that they work. If you currently use the E-cigarette, why did you decide to try it? Share Your Story
Grandkids: The Best Reason to Use E-cigs
- My 4 year old grandson watched a few commercials about the bad effects of smoking . He looked me in the eyes and said "Nana, if you keep smoking, you'll lose your leg!" I was devastated that my smoking made him afraid. We never allowed anyone to smoke around him, because we know it could hurt him. He gave his parents the same speech. We listened. We are now smoke free but none of us could have done it without e-cigs. We use the Ego type . It's also cheaper than smoking. I coughed more than usual for about 3 days & then it seemed like my lungs felt "cleaned out". I feel better physically & will possibly have more time with the best grandson in the world!
- —Guest Linda Bellamy
Not For Me
- After wanting to kick the habit and having a mild heart attack 3 years ago I decided to try E cigs. First attempt last year saw me getting headaches when using them. Anyway, things should get better with time and development so I purchased a starter kit and these worked a treat (just like smoking a real cig) a few days into the e cigs I noticed an unusual feeling in my chest and my heart missed the occasional beat ( very similar to when the doctor tried to ween me off of the beta blockers that were prescribed by the hospital) BTW I had had a stent fitted in an artery. My general health had been fine up to this point, anyway the unusual feeling and irregular heart beat got worse so I stopped the E cigs and things went back to normal. BTW I did notice that although not anything like normal cigs but the e cigs did leave a slight smell and there was definitely a small amount of smoke knocking around in the room which was more noticeable when the sun shone in through the window. No way!
- —Guest Old Timer
Bad Effects From E-Cigs
- I have tried 3 different e-cigs over the years, as I have COPD & after 43 yrs of smoking wanted to try & give up. Every time I have tried these my breathing has become much worse, plus feeling dizzy & very unwell. The last time I used one was 3 days ago & I am still having far more problems breathing than I ever have off roll-up cigarettes, plus still feel very unwell. I have thrown the e-cig away now & will not try this method again to give up. I would sooner have the withdrawal symptoms. Not only that, I noticed last time I used it that some liquid escaped onto my lips & was very sweet & bitter at the same time. I am now concerned that these cigarettes may contain aspartame or something very similar.
Helped Me Not Smoke
- I have been smoking for the last 40 years and I got an e-cig and it has helped me as I have not had a fag for 8 weeks now. I have emphysema.
- —Guest Theresa
People Don't Understand the Health Risks
- I smoked for 20 years. When I tried to quit they had 4 filters - I never made it past the final one. Finally, I realized the only way was to quit cold turkey - there were no patches, etc., in 1986. Two weeks were rough but I've never had even a desire to smoke since. Now I have "moderate" COPD, asthma etc. and sorry I never listened to Yul Brynner. SHOCKED that a nurse would use an e-cigarette in a clinical situation - duh - role model much? I have a friend who just started using e-cigarettes & I believe they do not understand the health risks - please get the word out about these trendy-but-terrible things. Not worth it to get COPD down the road. Use patches or other medically proven safe ways to quit. Thanks for publishing this article!
- —Guest Diane Led
10 year Smoker-never touched a cig after
- I smoked for nearly 10 years since I was 18. Tried to quit more times than I can remember. Would go at best 6 months before something caused me to pick it up again. Tried all forms of smokeless tobacco, hoping I'd eventually give it up altogether. Finally invested in $60 ecig kit that uses a tank system. Don't buy those disposable ones, waste of money. Invest in a more expensive reusable/refillable kit. Cheaper, more flavors, you choose your nicotine amount. Since I started my kit I have not touched a real cigarette for 9 months and counting. I've never gone this long before. The smell of cigarettes now sickens me. My cravings were handled just fine. My goal is to eventually quit altogether, but however long that takes I believe this is a healthier alternative. Don't know why this took so long to figure out with technology, but I'm glad I found it early in my life before developing serious health problems.
- —Guest Dan
Desperate, Nothing Else Worked
- The E cig resolves the hand to mouth issue. It delivers nicotine as promised and cures the shakes. It doesn't reek of smoke.
Quit smoking, almost instantly.
- I immediately quit smoking, what a relief! It works with me and it worked with 2 friends of mine! Cravings are practically gone! In the last 3 months, I smoked 15-20 cigarettes, which previously I would have smoked in one day...
- —Guest Jim
Thought Ecig's were good - WRONG!
- As a 72 year old woman who had smoked since I was a teenager and diagnosed with COPD, the Ecig seemed like the perfect solution for me to quite the real thing. Was thrilled at first and for the next 6 months the Ecig was "working" for me. I suddenly became quite sick with symptoms related to a possible heart attack - in ER heart attack ruled out but unfortunately bigger things were happening. Transferred to one of the largest hospitals in Boston I was found to have severe liver and spleen problems, after numerous tests it was determined that the only cause had to have been the chemicals in the Ecig. After 11 days in hospital and liver biopsies, spleen enlarged 3 times normal size - I was discharged to home. Unfortunately, what I thought was the answer to "quitting cigarettes" was a devastating event and the chemicals involved and unregulated in the Ecigs are so hazardous it is hard to understand why the FDA cannot or will not determine exactly how much of these chemicals are involved.
E Cigs changed my life
- My wife got the Blu kit for Christmas. She smoked more than me and talked me into trying it on Jan 7th. Being a musician, it reminded me of stage fog but it still worked for both of us. I had a friend who owned an ego e cig, tried it, and took my wife to the vape store to purchase starter kits for each of us. I am proud to say that we have not touched analog cigs for over 5 months and have stopped counting. I never thought I would be able to quit. I sometimes have dreams of having a cigarette, get mad at myself, and am relieved that I didn't. Ecigs have changed our lives and we both feel so much better. Those who don't believe that it is not the best alternative to smoking are wrong. It really works and is the wave of the future.
- —Guest Ken P.
10 months, 10 days and counting
- I'm 56, have smoked since I was 20 and was diagnosed with mild COPD about two years ago. Tried to quit several times and failed. Bought an e-cig and was completely off traditional cigarettes within two days. One 12mg cartridge lasts me a day or more.
- —Guest BB
The ONLY Option for Me
- Age 70, 50 year smoker. First COPD exacerbation age 65 leading to a week of hospitalization. A chat friend of mine in China sent me an Ecig (still obscure) and I did some research. Quitting wasn’t AN option, it was the ONLY option. Attempted several times which were a miserable study in futility. Tried the FDA approved nicotine substitutes and drugs to no avail. I now import Ecigs and consult on a referral basis. Find someone near you to talk with there is so little information to guide you through the hit or miss situation. Please don't give up too quickly. Your search is an adventure that can be a life changing event. Ecigs are not a silver bullet, and we are merely pioneers and crusaders. Do your research carefully and decide which cessation or replacement device is for you. Pricing will increase as the major cigarette makers, among them P. Lorillard (BLU) are setting up distribution, and the feds are dreaming up tax schemes. I haven't considered smoking for 5 years.
- —Guest Mr. Bob
- Hi, I am now 67 years of age, I have been smoking 20+ a day since I was about 12 years old. My wife is away for a month at this moment and she absolutely hates smokers. So, I thought I would try without her knowing I was doing it to QUIT the WEED as a surprise for when she returns. Nearly three weeks ago I bought one of these nicotine Vapour contraptions, it has a refillable cartridge which you can fill with all sorts of flavoured substances, from fresh fruit, to chocolate and of course THE WEED - TOBACCO, or NICOTINE. The first day I used it about 2 weeks ago, I didn't realise until I was getting ready for bed that I had only smoked one PROPER cigarette all day, I was so proud of myself. The second day, same as the first, then day three and again as I was getting ready for bed I realised that I had not had one proper cigarette all day. I have NOT HAD A REAL CIGARETTE FOR !2 DAYS and I cannot tell you how amazingly proud of myself I feel. If I can do it, then anyone can.
- —Guest Gerry
Quit Real Tobacco Cigarettes
- I was skeptical until a friend let me take a puff. I was amazed that it felt like a real cigarette that I decided to try it as I did not have nothing to lose as smoking a real cigarette is a big loss already. I bought one, it took about 3 to 4 hours to get used to it, after that I was hooked on it and realized that I did not want to smoke a real cigarette ever again and wish I tried the E cig vapor years ago
- —Guest Ex Tobacco Cigarette Smoker
I Was the World's Most Pathetic Smoker
- I have smoked since I was 10 yrs old and I am now 53. I was diagnosed with COPD in 1996. I have tried many times to quit smoking. First I had to break a lot of the psychological habits of smoking, which helped me to cut down a lot. Bottom line is, I am the world's most pathetic smoker. I know that I will never quit smoking and I will smoke until the day I die, even while on oxygen. I am not on oxygen yet but I know that day is coming. I know it sounds pathetic but believe it or not, I am not the only one. I am now raising my 6 year old grandson and it is so important for me to be here to raise him. I knew that I had to do something. I researched all the e-cigs since there are so many out there. I decided to go with V2 e-cigs. I am so glad that I made this choice. I got them two days ago and I took one puff and said wow, I can do this. I have not picked up a regular cig since and I really have no desire to. I smoke these way less then I did regular cigs too. I know I will quit completely.
1-15 of 41Next