- I had pneumonia as a child so I have always had a bad chest. In 1993 I lost a lot of weight and my general health was not good.I was sent to the hospital where it was found that I have Bronchiectasis.
- —Guest Janny
Infections, Cough, Blood Pressure
- [I had a] worsening of chest problems -- blood shows, infections, continual cough -- even when walking on the flat in spite being an ex-smoker. [I] also had erratic blood pressure readings not controlled by tablets.
Slight Shortness of Breath Under Duress
- My only symptom was a very slight shortness of breath when I was stressed. My doctor said I had COPD and put me on Advair but I am not sure that is what I have. Only had one breathing test. I haven't smoked in 35 years and am not around smoke. How do I know for sure??
- —Guest Donna
- I have just been diagnosed with COPD & am waiting for more testing to determine what stage. Stopped smoking in 2001 but continued to have shortness of breath. First diagnosed with [chronic] bronchitis then treated for asthma; now COPD. Fatigue, shortness of breath, sweating & cough are all my symptoms. Hope to find out more soon.
- —Guest Sharon
- In 2004, I had the flu jab. Three days later I was in hospital and then diagnosed with COPD.
- —Guest tracy
COPD (Emphysema) Symptoms
- I recall being a bit short of breath on exertion for months ahead of my exacerbation but only when I was extremely tired. So, I never thought much about it. I was never diagnosed with COPD as I really didn't see the need to bring it up to doctor..I just needed to get more sleep! Then the Friday before Easter, I became very ill with what I believed to be the flu. By Easter Sunday, I could not make it from my bedroom to the bathroom (just feet apart). Symptoms: extreme shortness of breath, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, & just over all feeling crappy. When I got to hospital on Easter Sunday, my blood oxygen was 42% & I was diagnosed with COPD Exacerbation, was in middle of a heart attack, congestive heart failure, respiratory failure, pneumonia, kidney failure, obstruction of the bowel & a kidney infection. I was a very sick girl; they did not think was going to make it. At 53 years old, it was a tough reality. I spent 6 days in ICU & 4 on regular floor. Against odds, I am here!
Cough & Mucus
- My cough just came out of the blue as if I had had a horrible cold or something. I felt just fine. When I felt the depth of my cough and the mucus coming from no illness or infection.. sent up the red flags for me. Had a chest x-ray they found a nodule, then on to the CT scan. There it was, the COPD. I had been coughing for about 10 days then the shortness of breath. Then feeling the presence of my lungs, tightness. Also when I breathe in its like liquid in my airways.
Spot on Lung
- Debbie, I felt the exact same way. They found a spot on my lung. I was terrified. Turned out to be a nodule but then they diagnosed me with COPD. Knowledge is powerful. After knowing what the prob was I was able to research. If nothing else it keep my mind busy.. ; )
- —Guest Joy
- Cough has always been my primary symptom and this is what led to testing.
- —Guest marbob75
- I was getting more breathless when walking, even though I had stopped smoking.
- —Guest sue moorhouse
- I had no symptoms when I was first diagnosed after a routine Chest X-Ray about 15 years ago but was told I had moderate COPD. After that, I only had occasional shortness of breath -- until now.
- In December, 2008, I had a partial hysterectomy due to fibroid tumors - back in hospital in a week with two pulmonary embolis in lungs. Continued shortness of breath and chest pain took me to ER twice, finally to a pulmonologist. Found COPD, fibromyalgia and later, a rheumatologist diagnosed Lupus anticoagulant. Exposed to second-hand smoke entire life and had several bouts of bronchitis in 2001-2002. Never smoked.
- —Guest Georgia Guest
Scarring From Too Much Pneumonia
- Before I was properly diagnosed with another condition, I had repeated bouts of pneumonia, which killed off two lobes of my right lung, and scarred the rest; I had to have those two lobes removed because of the strain it was putting on the remaining lobe. Anyway, over the years, the scarring started causing more problems than one doctor could handle, so he sent me to a lung specialist. She did the breathing test, then listened to my chest. She first told me "mild obstruction" but I later saw on paperwork the real diagnosis -- bronchiectasis. I use three meds to help me breathe and a rescue inhaler. It wasn't a surprise to me that the scarring had started to cause some breathing issues. I'm just glad I know now what more to expect and continue my meds.
- —Guest Pam
Too Much Bronchitis
- Had bronchitis on and off for years. Let the last bout of it go to long ended up on mechanical ventilator then they told me. Now on oxygen and other meds.
Symptoms, COPD diagnosis.
- In the year 2003 while coming from office late evening I was suddenly breathless & neither could I let out air or let in the fresh breath. I was carried to my flat by neighbors. By then my finger joints turned in painfully & I was half conscious. My doctor administered a couple of injections in my chest & then I slowly but partly regained my breath. Next morning I took necessary tests & was diagnosed with COPD. Presently my lung capacity is said to be at 30%. I suffer frequent periodical bouts of acute breathlessness especially in rainy season and winter.
- —Guest Anil Kulkarni