There is Hope with COPD Treatment
By Deborah Leader, RN, About.com Guide
Many treatments are available to help alleviate the symptoms of COPD so that you can live a higher quality of life.
- Overview of COPD Treatment
- COPD Treatment Guidelines Throughout the Stages
- Treatment for Stage I, Mild COPD
- Treatment for Stage II, Moderate COPD
- Treatment for Stage III, Severe COPD
- Treatment for Stage IV, Very Severe COPD
- Treatment of Emphysema
- Treatment of Bronchiectasis
- Treatment of Chronic Bronchitis
- Treatment of AAT Deficiency
- Treatment Options at End of Life
Medication management is an important aspect of your COPD treatment plan. Medications can help ease your work of breathing so that you can once again, enjoy everyday activities.
- Avoiding Medication Errors
- Tips for Medication Safety
- Are You At Risk For Medication Errors?
- List of Common COPD Medications
- COPD Inhalers and Medications
- List of Common COPD Inhalers
- COPD Inhalers and Soy Lecithin
- FDA Warns Public About Spiriva
- Comparing Metered-Dose Inhalers to Wet Nebulizers
- Pros and Cons of Steroids in COPD Treatment
- Depression Medication and COPD
- The Truth About Antibiotics & COPD
How To Use Your Inhalers
When to breathe in -- when to breathe out -- COPD inhalers can get so confusing. Learn how to use your inhalers properly with these handy, step-by-step instructions.
- How To Use a Bronchodilator Inhaler
- How To Use a Metered Dose Inhaler
- How To Use a Nebulizer
- How To Use an Advair, Flovent or Serevent Diskus
- How To Use a Spiriva Handihaler
COPD Drug Profiles
Learning about COPD drug profiles will help you gain a better understanding about the medications you've been taking or will take at some point in the future.
What many people don't realize is that oxygen is a drug, and as such, should be used with safety in mind. Learn more about oxygen therapy for managing your COPD.
- Oxygen Therapy Facts
- The Benefits of Oxygen Therapy
- 7 Oxygen Safety Tips
- Medical Oxygen and Medicare
- Transtracheal Oxygen Therapy
- How Often Should I Change My Nasal Cannula?
- Dealing With Nasal Dryness
- Oxyview Oxygen Therapy Glasses
- Heliox as Part of COPD Treatment
- Traveling With Oxygen By Airplane
- Oxygen Emergency Tips
Other Treatment Options
While medications are important, non-medication related therapies also play an important role in treatment of COPD.
- Pulmonary Rehabilitation
- Surgical Intervention
- Complete Guide to Lung Transplants
- Lung Transplant Image Gallery
From herbs to stem cells, alternative therapy for COPD is growing in popularity among consumers. Find out more about what alternative treatment options are available to you.
- Complete Guide to Alternative Treatment for COPD
- Pros and Cons of Stem Cell Therapy for COPD
- Interview With Stem Cell Therapy Pioneer Barbara Hanson
- Pet Therapy and COPD
- Antioxidants and COPD
- The Truth About Herbal Remedies and COPD
- 6 Tips for Planting a Healing Garden
- Alternative Therapy Support Group
No More Butts: Quitting Smoking
Quitting smoking is the single, most important aspect of COPD treatment, yet the most commonly overlooked. The best thing about quitting smoking is how much better it will make you feel. Many options are available to help you quit and the good news is, you don't have to do it alone. Commit to quit today.
- How to Stop Smoking
- The Hazards of Cigarette Smoke
- Lung Function Decline After Smoking Cessation
- List of Stop Smoking Aids
- Complete Guide to Using Chantix
- Tips to Help You Quit Smoking
- BreathWish: A Scriptual Guide to Smoking Cessation -- Book Review
- COPD in the Never-Smoker
- The Health Risks of Secondhand Smoke
- How to Protect Yourself from Secondhand Smoke
- The Top 5 Quit Smoking Websites
- Quit Smoking Stories
- Using the Nicotine Patch to Quit: A Personal Success Story
- Quitting Cold Turkey: A Personal Interview
- How One Person Quit Smoking with Chantix
- The Pros & Cons of the E-Cigarette
- 5 Reasons Why People With COPD Continue to Smoke
Share Your Thoughts
One of the best ways to share suggestions or learn information from others about COPD is through User Answers. A unique, interactive tool designed to enrich the reader's experience, User Answers are fun and easy to participate in, and allow readers to have their suggestions and comments be part of real, live About.com articles.
- How Does Your Pet Help You Cope With COPD?
- What Precautions Did You Take Before Surgery?
- How Has Pulmonary Rehabilitation Benefitted You?
- Which Stop Smoking Aids Have Helped You Quit?