1. Health

The Pros and Cons of E-Cigarettes

By January 26, 2012

After the overwhelming response to my recent e-cigarette blog post, I thought it best to clarify things with an article reviewing the pros and cons of their use. So without any further adieu, here is the article:

The Pros and Cons of E-Cigarettes

Don't forget to  answer the attached User Answer question:

What Made You Decide To Try the E-Cigarette?

[Social Submit this]

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook

Comments
January 27, 2012 at 11:37 am
(1) Rolygate says:

Hi Deborah,

I commented on the new article, to say it is a nicely-balanced report. However it seems to imply that the Eclipse is an e-cigarette – but the Eclipse has no relation to e-cigarettes at all. An e-cigarette cannot produce carbon monoxide as there is no combustion.

The Eclipse was a trial cigarette project, by RJ Reynolds, that could be described as a cross between a regular cigarette and an Iolite / Ploom butane device. It heated the tobacco in the cigarette without igniting it. There is no relation to an electronic cigarette.

If you were to remove the Eclipse references in your new e-cigarette article, it would help to make it more accurate – thanks.

For some reason the comment has not been enabled there.

January 27, 2012 at 2:36 pm
(2) copd says:

Thanks, my bad. I even googled e-cigarette and it came up. Sorry, I am obviously not a smoker of the E-cigarette. It has been removed. Thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I appreciate the positive way you have done so.

May 30, 2012 at 7:45 pm
(3) Nay says:

I don’t know any studies but I’m trying to find information because I’m in a tough spot. My coworker regularly uses e-cigs in our shared office and I’ve asked him to stop twice, now. I told him feel like I’m getting a headache, and like I need to exert more effort to get a “full” breath (I’ve never had asthma, is this what it feels like?) The air seems “thick” and clammy. My heart races. Sometimes, it makes me cough. He tells me that I’m crazy, to go see a doctor because my ‘health issues’ are not his fault, never mind that I don’t feel this way when he is not using it. My boss doesn’t care because he sits right next to him and it doesn’t affect him. They are buddies. He probably won’t do anything unless the government tell him he has to stop. That doesn’t look like it’s going to happen any time soon.

I’m looking for any article or research- EVIDENCE- that says that the second hand vapors are harmful, contain measurable amounts of nicotine or p. glycols, and how harmful they are. I don’t care if my coworker wants to destroy his lungs, he was smoking before and it didn’t affect me. Now he’s making ME sick!

Please let me know what I can do. I can’t leave and I don’t want to get fired.

June 11, 2012 at 10:08 pm
(4) Ryan says:

Hi Nay,

You’re dealing with a very bad situation there. I am a lifelong nonsmoker, very clean-living, vegetarian, organic food, etc., so I couldn’t be more sympathetic to what you are going through.

The only way to resolve your situation is to pay a visit to your PCP and tell him or her what is going on, the harmful effects it is having on your health, and get a note addressed to your boss. At the end of the day, this is a civil rights issue… Your life, liberty, and pursuit of happiness are all hinged upon your right to breathe clean air, so don’t take this lying down. I know it’s not pleasant or easy, but you need to put on your fighting gloves and stand up for yourself. Don’t allow anyone to subject you to anything that is making you ill. Good luck and please let me know how things are going.

My best to you,

Ryan in Vermont

November 26, 2012 at 8:45 am
(5) joanne says:

well Nay you said he smokes actual cigarettes and that didnt bother you yet the E cig does . I would be more concerned about the real thing that the E cig the E cig wont harm you And the real thing will 100%

November 26, 2012 at 10:49 am
(6) LOL@NAY says:

Nay, first of all you talk about measurable amounts of nicotine? Do you drink coffee? Tea? Energy drinks? NO? How about eat potatoes? Well it’s just as “harmful” as nicotine. And some may argue the Energy drinks are worse. (and yes for any people out there wondering, potatoes have nicotine as well as many other vegetables). Your second big concern is PG, LOL, do you wear make-up? ever had an IV fluid or medicine at the hospital? used a cold medicine? No? How about eaten a pop tart or bread? These are all things that contain PG. So the next time you wake up to go to work and you are putting on your makeup thinking about how bad this “e-vapor” at work is, remember your skin is soaking up more PG by the time you get there than all day of this “second hand vape”. Maybe you should look up chem-trails and have some real concerns about what you’re breathing in everyday. SMDH @ ignorant people.

January 16, 2013 at 12:23 pm
(7) Tony says:

Nay, your concerns are valid. There is little research on second-hand vapor, and no conclusive results. You may be one of the unfortunate people who is allergic to propylene glycol, a main ingredient in ecigs. As a previous commenter said, PG is in MANY everyday products, but none of them utilize a vaporized form of PG. There is currently no research about how vaporized PG may affect an existing allergy. Having said this, I am confident that second-hand vapor is MOSTLY (99%) harmless. It may be that you are sensitive to the smell, like some people are highly sensitive to certain colognes or perfumes. Talk to the offending co-worker again, talk to your boss, go to your HR department… if none of those work, then file a lawsuit if you must. I am a vaper, but I would never infringe on someone else’s well-being like this person is doing to you.

February 28, 2013 at 2:05 am
(8) sleekhosting says:

E Cigarette as a product was primarily introduced in the market to help people quit smoking.
The primary targets for the product were the people who used to smoke tobacco already.

August 21, 2013 at 7:38 pm
(9) 24lind says:

I found that after my first Ecig I had trouble with breathlesness. Previously I did not have any impairement with my breathing, must say found this rather frightning and will certainly stop smoking ecigs. I am not a heavy smoker and smoke an average of 30 a week. Tobacco cigarettes have not had such an obvious negative effect as Ecigs. Be careful if you choose to go down the Ecig road rather than an alternative stop smoking method.

September 6, 2013 at 1:09 pm
(10) Grateful says:

I can say after being a smoker for 15years I finally quit though I traded it for another habit the (Ecig) but I can say I feel confident it’s better than burnt tobacco smell for my kids and the people around me I was smoking three packs a day.I live in a small place and I wished they would of came out with the Vapor thing a long time ago cause my son has asthma no doubt from my wife smoking a half a pack a day while pregnant.but besides that thanks to Ecigs me and my wife do not smoke all them other harmful chemicals and pollute the air and people we love around us

October 11, 2013 at 7:34 am
(11) E Liquid flavor says:

E-cigarettes are much better than regular ones. It doesn’t have side effects as the regular cigarettes have. E-cigarettes have a nicotine content flavor , and in regular one tobacco are present which is hazardous to health as compared to nicotine . So I in my view E- cigarettes are the best option/alternative to regular ones.