1. Health

Daliresp, aka Daxas, Now Approved in the US for COPD Treatment

By March 1, 2011

People with COPD in the US have a reason to celebrate this morning. Daliresp, known as Daxas in other countries, has just been approved in the USA by the Food and Drug Administration.

Daliresp is the first drug of its kind to be approved for maintenance treatment of COPD. It is a phosphodiesterase 4 (PDE4) inhibitor, a type of drug that blocks PDE4, an enzyme that is overproduced in people who have COPD or asthma causing inflammation in the lungs.

In a previous blog post, I wrote about how studies have shown that Daliresp improves lung function and reduces the number of COPD exacerbations in patients who have moderate to severe forms of COPD. Studies have also suggested that Daliresp improves pre-bronchodilator FEV1 across the board by as much as 80 milliliters and reduces COPD exacerbations by as much as 17 percent.

For those of you in the US who have been waiting for a new drug to be approved by the FDA that may help improve your COPD symptoms, this one shows significant promise. Talk to your health care provider today to see if Daliresp is an appropriate addition to  your COPD treatment regimen.

According to Forest Laboratories, Daliresp will be available in the second quarter of 2011.  For more information call (800) 678-1605 ext. 66297 or visit Forest Laboratories.

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook

Comments
March 2, 2011 at 12:13 am
(1) kookykathy says:

I don’t have a lot of mucus production because I have emphysema and not chronic bronchitis. But, I have an appointment with my pulmonologist 03/28/11 and I most definitely will ask him if this is something that I might benefit from!

March 2, 2011 at 11:57 am
(2) copd says:

Hummn, it will be interesting to hear what he has to say about it. It is also good for reducing exacerbations, so, I am wondering if emphysema patients who have frequent exacerbations would benefit from the drug. Let us know what the doc says about it. I am guessing that there is much more to be revealed here about this drug.

March 3, 2011 at 1:39 pm
(3) Raye9 says:

I wonder if it is helpful for the asthma part of copd, which I have along with emphysema. I’m going to ask my pulmo. about it at my next appointment (In April I think) Thanks for letting us know.

March 13, 2011 at 5:29 pm
(4) pamela says:

Sounds good. Is it licensed in the UK or do we have to travel to America?

Will it help in pulmonary fibrosis?

July 28, 2011 at 9:53 am
(5) DOC D says:

what is the cost?

October 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm
(6) susan says:

I heard that this drug has a side effect that can cause cancer I dont need more troubles

November 2, 2011 at 10:54 pm
(7) Betty Nelson says:

My mother was diagnosed with advanced COPD ten years ago. She has suffered acute respiratory arrest and several acute exacerbations. Her O2 sats were consistently 85-86% at rest with 2 lpm. Her pulmonologist started her on the daliresp in July. Her 02 sats are now consistently at 94-96% with 1.5 lpm. She reports feeling very good, but we are struggling with her appetite and subsequent weight loss. Daliresp will prove to be a blessing to someone newly diagnosed with COPD.

November 10, 2011 at 5:29 pm
(8) Beatrice says:

I have been on this med for almost a week now and it really seems to help with mucus and breathing.I have had no side effects and I recommend to give it a try.Give it at least a week and dont stop just after a day or two.Good luck and God Bless

December 6, 2011 at 2:24 pm
(9) gail says:

I have been on Daliresp for one month. Previously on theopholin. I have environmental asthsma and this drug has greatly improved my quality of life. I can actually get around people that wear perfume. On the down side :( I am having more trouble sleeping then before, and will address this with my pulmo on next visit. I would recommend this drug. The health risks are worth the benifit.

January 2, 2012 at 1:22 pm
(10) Diane says:

I have been on Daliresp for about 3 weeks. I have had heartburn for about a week. In reading on the web is have found this is a common side effect. Has anyone found relief by taking maalox before the Daliresp? The Daliresp has helped tremendously. I had been able to breath much better and I actually was able to sing in church for the first time in a few years.

I have COPD, bronchiectasis, asthmas and chronic bronchitis and celiac desease.

I have been hospitalized frequently in the last 3 years and would like to stay out of the hospital.

October 10, 2012 at 10:00 am
(11) nicole says:

diane or anyone else that may be able to help me
i realize that you posted this awhile ago but if you ever check this i would like to know what they say caused your type of copd. I also have copd bronchiectasis asthma and chronic bronchitis and now looking into celiac disease, i am hospitalized often as well ..right now i am going to the mayo clinic which they believe it could be alpha 1 antitrypsin but i would have a rare form of the disease i have an mm allele i am only 28 and the symtoms started when i was 22 i have a fev1 of 40%, most doctors are stummed, I also have emphysema to go along with it which is coming up from the bottom of my lungs I have never smoked a day in my life or have never been around long term second hand smoke

September 11, 2013 at 1:05 pm
(12) Kathleen dunbar says:

My doctor prescribed Daliresp and it has helped tremendously. The only problem is I have no insurance and it costs $230.00 for a 1 month supply. How do these drug companies justify their prices? Last month the script was $10.00 less! Because it works they think they can raise the prices!
Any answers Daliresp?!