1. Health

Deborah Leader, RN

So, Doctor, How Long Do I Have To Live?

By February 27, 2009

Trudy, one of our newest COPD Forum members asks a similar question:

Hi,

I was diagnosed with COPD last year. I was wondering about life expectancy - how long does a person live with COPD? I am 55 now, with a birthday coming up.

Trudy.

Trudy has severe COPD. According to the Global Initiative for Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD), during this stage, dyspnea becomes worse and COPD exacerbation is common.

To be in the severe range, pulmonary function tests should fall within the following parameters:

FEV1/FVC < 0.7

30% < or = to FEV1 < 50% predicted

So, what does this mean for Trudy as far as life expectancy?

First of all, no one, not even a doctor, can tell you how long you have to live. We are all on borrowed time, if you think about it, and everyday above ground is just one more day to be grateful for. That said, there are some key factors that come into play when it comes to survival rates in patients who have COPD:

• Age when you are diagnosed - If you are diagnosed at 80, as opposed to 55, your life expectancy will most likely be shorter (if other issues are not involved, such as smoking, secondhand smoke, other illnesses, for example). Lung function decline occurs, not only from COPD, but as part of the aging process. Learn more about aging.
  • Stage upon diagnosis - Those who are diagnosed at Stage I, or mild COPD, in general, have a better chance for survival than someone who is diagnosed with Stage IV, or very severe COPD. But, keep in mind, these stages are only guidelines. There are always exceptions to every rule and some people have been diagnosed with severe COPD, and because they take care of themselves, may live longer than someone who has mild COPD and does not take care of themselves, IE: still smokes, drinks too much, etc. Learn more about the stages of COPD.
  • Smoking - If you continue to smoke in the presence of your diagnosis, don't expect anything to get better. Smoking leads to a worsening of COPD, and will most likely take you to one place - an earlier grave. Learn 10 tips to help you quit smoking.
  • Environment you live in - If you live in a home where others smoke, secondhand smoke can escalate your COPD. Other factors include air pollution and workplace exposure. You want to take precautions now that you have been diagnosed with COPD and try to limit your exposure to airway irritants. Learn more about the health hazards of secondhand smoke.
  • Complications of COPD - Do you have pulmonary hypertension, cor-pulmonale, pneumonia, respiratory failure or other complications of COPD? Complications, in and of themselves, can be life-threatening. Learn more about COPD complications.
  • How well you take care of yourself - Do you exercise regularly? Eat right? Avoid stress? Taking proper care of yourself is you best defense against your disease. Learn more about COPD nutrition and exercise.
  • How well you comply with your treatment program - While there are no medications that can halt the progression of the disease, COPD treatment can improve quality of life and reduce the chances of COPD exacerbation. Reducing occurrences of COPD exacerbation can keep you out of the hospital. Learn more about COPD treatment.
  • Are you on oxygen? Some studies have shown an increase in survival rates in patients who use oxygen more than 15 hours a day. Read more about oxygen therapy.

So, Trudy, I hope this information was helpful and that you are with us for a long, long time!

Anyone else have a question they want featured in the COPD blog? Ask away!

For more information about COPD mortality, read:

Factors Influencing COPD Life Expectancy

Comments
February 27, 2009 at 7:26 pm
(1) Laura M. says:

I used to wonder the same thing. How much longer will I live like this? Coughing all the time; in and out of the Dr.’s Office with Bronchitis, or worse.
One day about a month ago, I got smart. I finally realized, it was too cold to be going outside to smoke…YES, smoke, when I felt so awful. What kind of idiot was I anyway?
I decided then and there, that was it., and threw away what few I had left in my pack, and haven’t looked back since. I am 63, have 3 grown children I have 6 Grandchildren.
(Ages 24-4).
I was stubborn, but, now realize how good one can feel, even with COPD, Chronic Bronchitis. I am newly retired, and trying to enjoy myself. I live near a Lake in Willis, Texas, in a Park Preserve.
It is amazing. And to boot, I feel so good.
Of course, my appetite leaves a lot to be desired. I eat EVERYTHING if it’s not bolted down. :)
I’m working my way to exercise; and get back to my healthy eating, instead of donuts and candy to take Nicotine’s place.
I’ll be fine. Just wanted to share those thoughts. If after almost 40 years, I can give up smoking, anyone can. Best Wishes and Good health, to all of my fellow COPD’ers.

February 27, 2009 at 7:43 pm
(2) copd says:

On behalf if my readers, thank you for the words of encouragement about quitting smoking. You are an inspiration to others.

February 27, 2009 at 9:39 pm
(3) Laura says:

You are most welcome. If only one person takes heed, it would make me smile. I’ve been reading your Newsletter for quite some time now, and kept telling myself, I was going to quit. I just had to let you know that your kind words and educational information have not gone unread. You have been a great help to me.
Have a great weekend, COPD.
Sincerely,
Laura

February 27, 2009 at 10:59 pm
(4) copd says:

Thank you so much for letting me know that. It means a lot to me that I can be of help to someone. That is what makes this job so rewarding to me. YOu have a great weekend as well and thanks once again.

December 9, 2009 at 11:05 pm
(5) COPD Survivour says:

Mom my was diagnosed with Small Cell Lung Cancer in July 09, she has had COPD for 2 years prior and we thought that compared to the cancer, it was not a big deal-wrong let people know if you have COPD Chemo and Radiation speed things up and worsen COPD, she was beating the cancer but because of everything her lungs had to take, she passed Dec 1 09…she was on oxygen, ventaltors and more…just a word of advice for those who have to choose between cancer treatments and copd…it was awful…I was with her everyday-I would not recommended this for anyone-EVER

January 14, 2010 at 1:59 am
(6) Mary Jo Wainwright says:

My mother has end stages of COPD and is 81 years old. She still lives by herself (which she insists on) but I am seeing a decline and she doesn’t even want to go to the doctors. She just doesn’t have the energy anymore and thinks there is nothing they can do for her anyway. I want to know how I will know it is nearing the end and is there anything else I should be doing? I don’t think she should be on her own, but she won’t even talk about it.

January 14, 2010 at 11:34 am
(7) copd says:

Hi
I am sorry about your mom. I think you could get some really good answers to your question in the COPD Forum, where I as well, can respond more appropriately:

Please take your question there.

January 24, 2010 at 9:14 am
(8) thomas mccrea says:

i have severe copd and they have found a hole in one of my lungs i am on 3 kinds of inhalers daily but still find myself getting rather tired quickly and out of breath especialy at night time even walking 20 feet its as though i have run a marathon i keep asking my doc how long i have but he wont give me an answer i know they wont get better no matter what i do now i am 47 i dnt know what to do now my fmily know and friends so i spend as mutch time with them as possible i was wandering is there any other treatment out there for copd besides a lung transplant is there no hope of a cure

January 24, 2010 at 3:00 pm
(9) Deborah says:

Have you considered stem cell therapy? It is in its infancy, and rather controversial, but some people says it helps their symptoms a lot. Here is an interview I did with someone who had it:

September 20, 2010 at 11:43 pm
(10) Conserned daughter says:

My mother told me only moments ago that she has copd. She has known this for some time and decided not to tell her family, i understand she didnt want anyone to worry considering I have an Aunt who was just hospitalized today and my moms boyfriend will be tomorrow. i dont know much about copd but i do know it gets worse if you keep smoking. My mother is a smoker and has been for years. She’s tried to quit but when she gets upset or stressed thats what she turns to. Any advice?

October 6, 2010 at 12:02 pm
(11) Becky says:

My Grandma was diagnosed with COPD years back, and has recently been in and out of the hospital due to complications. She’s finding out today what stage the diseasse is at.
She has been a heavy smoker for the past 69 years, and recently quit last month after the hospital was too much for her.
She responds well to oxygen when she’s on it, but does not qualify for a personal tank to have at home. It’s tragic that a person is denied access to something that can potentially extend her life expectancy for a few more years.
What can I expect as her grand-daughter, to witness? I know that I am in effect watching her die a slow, painful death. Is there anything that I can do for her? This whole process is frightening for me, and I can only imagine how scary it is for her!
Any advice would be great. Trying to think and stay positive about this whole thing.

October 29, 2010 at 8:35 pm
(12) Carebear says:

I have more of a question than an comment. My mother is 52 years old and has had asthma since she was little. She use inhalers and has breathing treatment frequently. The doctors just diagnosed her with early stages of COPD. O f course, I do not think she being honest about just founding out, but I just wanted to know about how long does a person have to live with this disease?She is a serious cig. smoker and she drank millers for 40 years. I just really need more information on this disease. Me and my moms have just started to get along and I feel like I’m losing her!

December 11, 2010 at 5:40 pm
(13) copd says:

COPD life expectancy varies from person to person but studies have shown it to be associated with a few factors. Here is an article I did on the subject:

February 17, 2011 at 3:28 pm
(14) Robert Beckner says:

Hi Gang! Quit smoking 13 years ago; cold turkey!!I have been walking to the end of my street and back (1/4 mile).Last few days it’s been cold here in good ole Florida, so I skipped. I have already notice the difference…Like starting over…My question Deb., is when I do walk and need my inhalerVentolin HFA; I find that primatene Mist I get better results and fast… Bless you all!! PS I have COPD Emphysema and oxygen 24/7…

March 20, 2011 at 7:55 pm
(15) Cath says:

I have just been tested for lung tumors after a period of coughing,shoulder and upper arm pain and have lost about 10kg over a 2-3 months.I am a 54 yr old smoker of about 40yrs,although I have no breathing difficulty.My xrays showed no tumors but my doc said the words c.o.p.d. Im not sure if he meant I was heading in that direction or I do indeed have this disease but was told I need to quit smoking and was left at that..If I do indeed have this should I not have been referred onto other treatments?felt that I was labelled and left at that,I feel that probably my doc has no sympathy for a self inflicted illness.I have not touched a cigarette since (5days)and joining my local gym tomorrow.Terrified to say the least.

March 20, 2011 at 9:42 pm
(16) copd says:

Cath,

You are right. You need to find out for sure if you have the disease. You should be referred to a pulmonologist for further testing, particularly, a spirometry test. This will tell the doctor how much damage has been done to your lungs and if you do indeed have COPD, what stage you are in. The stage you are in determines your treatment.

March 21, 2011 at 9:20 am
(17) cath says:

Thanks,took your advice and went to my doc practice this a.m. and saw a different doctor who said that I most probibly have very mild c.o.p.d.The fact that there is no breathing difficulty and also that the tests you described were usually offered when there is difficulty with breathing.If in fact I dont improve in the next month or so and because I have given up smoking and taking exercise then by all means return to my doctor.Do you think this was good advice?

March 21, 2011 at 12:25 pm
(18) copd says:

Even mild COPD needs to be diagnosed with spirometry. You can ask your doctor for the test, regardless. If you were a smoker for any length of time, you should be screened for this disease. It does not matter whether or not you are symptomatic. Typically, COPD can be present for years without symptoms. Then it is often advanced. Get tested. That’s my humble opinion.

March 22, 2011 at 1:24 pm
(19) cath says:

If as you say,and I dont doubt, can the doctor say I actually have c.o.p.d if you need further testing ie spirometry??

March 22, 2011 at 1:44 pm
(20) copd says:

A doctor cannot just look at you and say you have mild COPD. A spirometry test needs to be done to diagnose and stage it, along with other diagnostic tests.

Please email me with any further questions: copd.guide@about.com.

March 28, 2011 at 11:15 pm
(21) Kat Beach says:

Just told tonight from my dad that he has COPD.
Unfortunate, he didn’t get alot of information from his dr.
He wasn’t aware that he had it so I’m just going to ASSUME that it’s mild because he says he doesn’t feel winded, etc.
Any advice on where we need to go from here?
I do realize that it worsens but would love to know how to go about finding out how bad he has it, etc.?
Thanks so much.

March 29, 2011 at 12:12 am
(22) copd says:

Hi Kat,

Sorry to hear about your father. To find out more about the disease, I would search this website and read all you can about the disease. Visit my research section as well and find other reputable resources to help you figure this out. Also, signing up for my newsletter and free, COPD e-course is something I recommend. Here are the links:

Hope that helps.

June 9, 2011 at 5:52 pm
(23) theodore says:

hi my husband quit smoking 15 years ago yet he is on a cpap machine and every month he have a cold flam coughing and bad breadth at those days when his coughing is worst comment anyone thanks tampa fl

June 22, 2011 at 2:58 pm
(24) Dillon says:

Hi, my name is Dillon and I was wondering about my dad he is 52 yrs old and he has copd and hepatitis c. He has had copd since he was like 43 yrs old I think and pronounced with hepatitis c about 5 yrs ago and he is an active smoker and drinks a few more than he should. I was just wondering how long can you live with illness’s like these?

June 22, 2011 at 7:23 pm
(25) copd says:

The answer to the question about how long one lives with COPD is in the above blog post. It is hard to say and depends upon many factors.

Hep C also is dependent upon many factors. Some people with Hep C are fine and live a long life. Others get cirrhosis of the liver and die from it if they don’t get a liver transplant, which they won’t do if a person is still drinking. It just depends.

June 24, 2011 at 2:17 pm
(26) dillon says:

Thanks so much for you input that really helps me

August 6, 2011 at 5:42 pm
(27) Luna says:

My mum was diagnosed with COPD at around 30 she is now 43 and still smokes, she finds it hard now to walk up the stairs and has really slowed down. She also now “naps” whereas before she was a very high energy person. I have watched her deteriorate over the years and I am trying to come to terms with the fact this is a terminal illness. I am 21 this year and my brother is 13. I have been reading a lot about COPD and it seems my mum is about 30 years before her time.

August 28, 2011 at 1:26 pm
(28) John L. says:

My wife & I quit 9/10/09 @ ages 63 & 56 after smoking since our mid-teens. Both dx’d w/ “mild” COPD. FOOD HAS TASTE???! UBETCHA!

I was dx’d w/ Pneumonia 2 days ago – taking max doses daily of Biaxin & Amoxicillian…feeling much better already.

IF U HAVE COPD: Buy, beg, borrow, or steal an incentive spirometer (Google it)…& USE IT DAILY. You’ll be glad U did WHEN…not if…U get Pneumonia. (I have one…now)

AND…If a cold lasts longer than 4 days w/ non-clear phlegm & very slightly elevated temp…find a doc FAST. I waited 9 days. …& almost ended up in the hospital.

Yes…being too ‘independent’ WILL kill you. The survival rates for Pneumonia & COPD combined are lousy if allowed to progress ‘too long’. What IS ‘too long’?

I think I almost found out.

John L.

September 12, 2011 at 10:59 pm
(29) Lynn says:

Well I’m a bit worried after reading all of these comments, but I do thank you all.
We have to stick together for the Dr’s are not telling us everything.
Nor are they checking for it either so fare warning if you have any of these systems take it from me go get another opinion FAST……..!
I start taking my 112 MG tomorrow…
I had the iodine treatment frying of the thyroid two months ago.
They didn’t catch my problem for over a year.
I can’t walk 20 feet without getting out of breath up till today………
I went from can’t breath to using a walker for 2 months I felt like I went from 54 years old to 80 over night….
Once I got on the thyroid med’s I didn’t need the walker anymore thank God….but I keep it close buy…….
No one had any answerers but they sure did burn up my INC……..
I kept telling the Dr’s. I couldn’t breath & i felt like i had rocks in my throat.
And because I was a smoker of 41 years that had stopped last year.
They chalked it up as COPD. none of the copd med’s helped me to breath easier.
I had a heart attack 3 months after I stopped smoking.
Anyway after all this a year later because they didn’t catch the THIROD PROMBLEM!!!
Thanks Doc’s I now have Graves Disease they now say I don’t have COPD fancy that.
And I start taking this new med Levothyroxine 112 MG tomorrow.
Oh and did I mention in the beginning of my stopping smoking I weighed 167 now I weigh 202!
OMG I can’t gain anymore I have gone from a size 14 to 2 X to 3 X I don’t even want to get dressed up anymore……..
I wasn’t this big when I had any of my 4 children in the 70′s.
This is not how I expected to spend my Mid 50′s……….
I really hope & Pray that i lose instead of gaining but from what all im reading it looks like I’m doomed…… wish me luck & say a prayer……….

October 10, 2011 at 2:12 pm
(30) pamcee says:

I first want to start off by saying I wish the best and pray for everyone who is going through the beginning or end stages of COPD.I myself do not have COPD;however,my mom does… I have been taking care of her since she was diagnosed in 1996,she is at the last stage of her disease,everyday I see her wake up and make the best of her day.she is bedridden now,but her spirit goes throughout the house, and my life everyday.What I notice is no one can tell you how long you have to live,the decision is up to you. Her first doctor told her”You may have 6 months to a year to live,the is no cure,and there is nothing I can do”.That day she made the decision that she will do everything in her power to enjoy life and control the disease, and not let the disease control her.I get my courage from her,because she goes through a struggle with her breathing,that sometimes I wish I could breath for her.Everybody who knows the struggle of trying to breath I understand,I just wanted the leave a comment to let people know it is hard,but don’t give up.

October 14, 2011 at 6:33 pm
(31) jeanee says:

Hi Lynn
I too have graves disease. Mine is being treated with Methamozole its a generic for tapazole. How they found mine was my heart rate was way too fast.

November 9, 2011 at 10:20 pm
(32) Jessica says:

Hi, I don’t have COPD. Like the last two posters, I have graves disease. Have had it for 8 years. This year is the worst. I recently started suffering with chest (heart) pains, racing heart, shortness of breath, constant dizziness,me left arm hurts. Every time the chest pain starts, I believe I am going to die. Maybe I am. Should go without saying that I am now panic attack prone, can’t breathe without having one. Worried to death that I am going to die and leave my 5 year old alone in this world. To make matters worse, I recently completed a doppler echocardiogram. I have 40mm pulmonary artery pressure. So I also have pulmonary hypertension. I am scared to death, but the pulmonologist I saw yesterday seemed unconcerned, he didn’t think I needed any meds on any additional tests…oh wait, he owns a sleep center so he set me up for a sleep study. I don’t want a sleep study, I want you to figure out at what capacity my lungs are operating…I don’t know. Doctors don’t care, I have so many questions, and so frightened, and I wish I could evaluate and treat my own self.

January 19, 2012 at 9:11 am
(33) Paul says:

Hi,
I have COPD & I hate it..I hate what it has done to me.I have just broken up with my pregnant partner who just doesnt understand what I am going through. I have an FEV1 of less than 30% & most time I cant get dressed without having to catch my breath. The cortico steroids have made life worse, although they helped my breathing for a while. Im 48, Im miserable & Im depressed… I attend rehab regularly, but now that I have lost my partner, I am giving up. I have no one to talk to about this & I feel like robinson carusoe. I hate waiting .. its as if it is a slow death sentence. Why am I saying all this. Basically because I can’t cope anymore. I dont want to wake up anymore. Im 48. I feel as though I have nothing left to live for because I am nothing but a burdon in this world..

January 20, 2012 at 12:19 pm
(34) Jody says:

Hi I am stage 4 C.O.P.D. I am in the process of going through with a lung transplant. I am tired all the time and I just hope that this does the trick. I am a 52 year old female/ I have 3 grown sons and my youngest is 10. I have 4 grandsons and 3 granddaughters. I just want to LIVE…. i want to be around to dance at the grandkids weddings but, I don’t know if that will happen or not. I suffer from so much depression and I am on anti depressants, nerve pills and then my breathing medications daily. I have been denied my disability because according to Social Security I can work in a FACTORY… Ya right I can’t even clean more that 1 room of my house without stopping to rest… Sorry i just needed to vent and this looked like the place to do it. Pray for me I can get the lung.. God Bless.

Jody

January 25, 2012 at 2:41 pm
(35) adele says:

hi paul i just read your post and im so sorry to hear that you are feeling so low. i am 49 and was just diagnosed with mild copd 2 days ago. i have to go to hosp next weds for a bronchoscopy and lung wash and if nesessary bioposy. i was shocked when the consultant told me i have copd and know that i should stop smoking but am so wound up by hospital a[[ointment next week that i would be better waiting to see what they find during bronchoscopy then try and quit. i am afraid of the unknown andhave felt down since they told me i have copd. i hope you reply back to this and no that someone else cares . take care from adele and to all the other people with copd or family memberswith it i wish you the best and peace somewhere in the middle of the madness.

January 27, 2012 at 3:29 am
(36) Carolyn says:

My faith lies in the lord whom I desire to be with when I die i am sad to know I have this terminal illness I wish that cigarettes was not being glamorized and now the campaign is on that smoking has been abolished in many places I say why if it was so dangeriously addictive why weren’t they illegal Iwould of thought twice about smoking I’m not scared of death I want to be with the lord im scared of the manner in this desease of which I’ll suffer to die my prayers goes out to all who suffer from a terminal illness because god has the final word jesus is my main medicine and my DR. stay strong pray.

January 27, 2012 at 5:42 pm
(37) Melody Harbour says:

I got diagnosed with COPD on December 10, 2011, I am 59. I ended up spend’ home with it. I have been doing well since released from the hospital, it took about 3 weeks before I felt like a person again. I really thought when I ended up at the ER that I was fixing to die, really bad asthma attack and coughing. On my first visit to dr. he asked if I was depressed, I’m not…I’m thankful for each and every day…I still have a little pain in my chest, pressure is how it feels, and I do have to rest a little more often. I had not had any energy in so long and just thought it was because I was overweight and getting older…now I know it was because I was using all of my energy just to keep breathing, that has made a difference in my understanding of why I had felt so bad for so long, I had COPD and did not know…I do not know what stage I am in but I would say in the middle…am glad to have places to go to be able to communicate and read about others who have the same disease…it helps to know what I am feeling is what others are feeling too…anyway, just thought I would add to what others have commented on. Melody

March 8, 2012 at 8:00 pm
(38) Scott says:

Hi everyone, I just got off the phone with my father who lives on the other side of the country from em. He informed me that he was diagnosed with COPD yesterday and they put him on oxygen. He has a really hard time breathing and has to sleep sitting up and runs out of breath just walking up 12 steps. He has always hated going to the Dr so i know this is the first time he has been in at least 5 years. He is about 62 years old now and he is scared for his health. He coughs a lot and sometimes i wonder if he will be able to catch his breath while he is coughing. It’s scary!

I was just wondering how serious this is and if i should plan on flying back home to stay with him through this tough time. Is he rapidly dying? I don’t know how long it takes for COPD to claim a life in the stage that it is in. He still smokes a TON and can’t seem to gather the strength to stop. He also worked 25 years in a steal mill. How bad is this? can anyone help me?

March 9, 2012 at 5:24 pm
(39) Lee D says:

I have been living with COPD for almost 12 years. I am 67 and have been to pulmonary rehab twice. I stopped smoking 20 years ago and thought that I would not get this disease but I was told the damage was already done during the time I smoked. If you are smoking, stop, it’s the best way to control the progression. Make sure you eat well and get the nutirents that you need and include some anitoxidant suppliments. Don’t blow all your calories on junk food.

March 14, 2012 at 10:24 am
(40) Betty says:

I’ve never smoked, but had both parents and former husband who smoked. Now I have COPD. Thanks bunches. I see a specialist the end of the month to determin what stage I’m in. I have the need to take a deep breath which sometimes is difficult. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I’d come down with this. I guess, like the rest of us, I’m scared of what the future holds. Just learning about restrictions, ect. Good luck to us all.

March 19, 2012 at 11:50 am
(41) KEN says:

Hello: I have had copd for going on 11 years. I have lost 82% lung function. I do take daily maintenance drugs. I was diagnosed stage 4 approx 2 years ago. I try to excercise daily for about 15-20 minutes. I have been on disability and have not worked since early 2009.I am not really an old person so I try every day to continue. I have had to stop most all physically taxing fill-ins such as bowling and golf. I was wondering if there is any type of expermental treatments or some type of radical treatment being administered. I refuse to sit around and wait to die. I’m pretty healthy minus taking a daily drug for a non threatening concern. Based on my current lung function, I am on oxygen about 20 hours per day, but I will continiue to fight every day, we’ve just had 1st grandson, will push to see his 1st birthday

March 31, 2012 at 7:21 pm
(42) Ray says:

I have COPD and play paintball, soccer, and hockey. Now mind you I dont push as hard as I used too. My advice is listen to the doc and dont believe every thing you read on the internet. Stop smoking and allow your body to do some healing. No matter how much you read on the internet nobody knows your outcome. You could lead a fine life and have minor problems. People that continue too smoke, hang out in smoky areas or polluted areas and whatnot well of course its going to progress. This is medical fact that if you quit smoking with COPD it will slow too a halt. Thats also depending on severity.

April 7, 2012 at 12:33 am
(43) Karen Baxter says:

I was just diagnosed with moderate copd. I’m so depressed. My doctor just asked me if I had any questions, then gave me two inhalers, and told me to come back in 4 weeks. What the heck? My whole life has been turned upside down. I’m having a hard time at work betwen trying to breath and the stress and trying to deal with this sudden life changing news. I live alone and my kids live in different states so I feel so alone.

April 13, 2012 at 10:46 pm
(44) karen says:

my dad has copd is he gonna die i c=dnt wnna lose him plz help

April 24, 2012 at 10:54 am
(45) Jill says:

Just last week I was diagnosed with mild COPD. Hypertension was diagnosed several years ago and symptoms of CHF about five years ago. I stopped smoking 30 years ago, just because it was time to stop My sisters all still smoke and one died two years ago of lung cancer and one has COPD.

I am 69 years old and until last week thought I was pretty healthy, in spite of hypertension (controlled by drugs) and CHF (again controlled by drugs). Now adding more drugs for the COPD….this getting old stuff is getting OLD.

April 25, 2012 at 1:44 am
(46) Oma Ryan says:

in 2006 I was diagnoised with stage IV COPD. In 2009 I went into respiratory failure and was intubated for 2 weeks made it to step down, regular room and after a month of hospitalization, was moved to a rehab/ nursing home for 4 weeks.Went through intense rehab,for me, but made it all the same. I have had several exacerbations and just got out of the hospital 4 weeks ago and am waiting some torn tissue problems to leave so I can get busy excercising again. Everyday that I am here, I contribute to this life. Please remember, we are ill, not dead.
I pray for warm breezes, happy hearts and your peace of mind.
Oma J. Ryan

May 5, 2012 at 4:44 am
(47) Tracie k says:

I keeped getting sick.last year the day before thanksgiving.i was told I have copd with bronkittess and enphazmma.the dr couldnt beleve I had copd at 36 and a few days before I turned 37.im sooooooooooooo tieard all the time.middle of my chest hurts sometimes .but I have notest that get light headed if I bend down look up or reach up.when I do take in halers get full of energy.i dont no what family history is.i was adopted when I was very young.i love my family and my boyfriend of 5yrs nexted month.we were friend for #12 yrs before we got togeather.i have only had xray done nothing more.what do I do now?been smoking for 23yrs 1pack a day.never beathing probs never factory job.parents smoked.

May 21, 2012 at 9:06 pm
(48) ChrisM says:

My sister suffered from asthma as a child, had bronchitis regularly and had several bouts of pneumonia in her early 20s.

In her late 20s, she was diagnosed with Rheumatoid Arthritis (RA) and, after more than a decade of steroid treatments to help manage her RA (and which also aggravated her respiratory issues), she developed Type II Diabetes. Testing her blood and administering insulin to herself became a growing challenge considering the progressive crippling of her joints, especially her fingers which became increasingly gnarly.

As if she didn’t have enough to deal with, in her late 40s, my sister was diagnosed with COPD. As time went on and the COPD progressed, she became housebound and spent increasingly more time in the hospital battling bouts of bronchitis & pneumonia, which wreaked havoc with her sugar levels and usually triggered flareups of her RA.

At the age of 57, my sister (recently) passed away in a nursing home due to complications from COPD. By the time the RA, Diabetes & COPD were finished with her, she looked like she was 80 yrs old and felt like she was 100. This was a woman who had NEVER smoked in her life and who did her due diligence each time she was hit with a new disease, to learn how best to treat it. She fought the good fight and did everything she should but during this last year, she just wanted the agony to end. Everything was a struggle. She even had trouble sleeping though she was using a C-PAP mask at night, and could no longer eat much because it was at odds with her breathing.

I feel for every one of you who has COPD as I saw first hand was it can do to a vital young woman. Please… do right by yourselves and your families by taking good care and doing whatever you can to mitigate the impact of this progressive disease. And count your lucky stars that you’re only battling one disease – COPD – and then go kick some butt!

Good luck and God bless.

May 31, 2012 at 7:45 pm
(49) Ainne says:

I stopped smoking 5 years ago because I was too sick to get out of the house and get some cigarettes. I started smoking as a teen, and my mom helped out by keeping me supplied with cartons of cigs. I bought them by the carton for 30 years. Because I had COPD, I attended a stop-smoking class and the instructer said that the one thing she found that helped most people quit, was to think about your first experience with smoking – that is where the most important clue is that will help you stop. Well, with mw, it was the cartons, so I started buying them by single packs. Luckily there was a store nearby which didn’t up the price of single packs and I went a bought 3 packs at a time. One night, I ran out and was too out of breath to go and get more. Twelve hours later, I was still sick, and 24 later etc….
Then I figured I had lasted this long without them, I didn’t need them and it’;s been 5 years.
So, stop buying them and quit.

June 23, 2012 at 9:30 am
(50) feec says:

I lost my mum on monday the 18th of june to copd , such a fighter and a stong women evan to the end still out on her scooter 2 days before , i hated having to see what she went through and how she struggled for breath and thinking to myself she will be ok, but as i look now i see that over the last year of her life she had stopped doing so much , though still having her grandchildren to sleep most weekends , im just pleased she doent have to suffer anymore , i hope anyone who reads this with copd please dont think the worst just make the most of life nobody know when there time is up , stay strong and keep fighting

July 26, 2012 at 2:00 am
(51) Roberta says:

My mother was diagnosed with cold I believe in 2004 and they told her she had 5 years to live.it is now 2012 my mother is a fighter.recently we found out she had stage four copd.she is on 4 oxygen airflow and has something wrong with her heart.a week ago from today my mother was admitted into the hospital and placed on lifesupport for the second time.the doctor said when she came in he looked at her and said he didn’t expect her to make it through the night.now today 6 days later they tell us she wont make it past 5 days.while on life support they have her slightly sedated and she is mostly awake all day.my mothers hands arms and stomachs area are swollen with fluids.its so hard to know when to seriousley prepare ourselves because everyone gives a different story.the doctor told me that if my mothers heart were to fail he wouldn’t recommend doing CPR because her rib cage excetra would shatter and cave in.is this possible or are they just getting tier’s of caring for my mother? She is all I have left and I just can’t lose her right now.

August 14, 2012 at 3:05 pm
(52) Lynn says:

My husband has had a cough for months now. Also something showed on a PET and CT scan in his lungs. Has had a bronchoscopy and fine needle biopsy and both were negative.

Where do we go now? Could this just be COPD?

August 15, 2012 at 7:07 pm
(53) Al says:

My wife has now been on oxygen for close to 16 years and I be leave the past 13 have been stage 4. I cant tell you what we have done right but we have kept going and doing as much as we can. We have learned there are doctors everywhere so we hav e traveled a lot in our motor homes
It has been a lot harder for the past two years is she has been bed ridden. So good luck and keep going

August 18, 2012 at 6:07 pm
(54) Anna says:

My husband has stage copd. I have noticed the changes in him lately. He does not seem to remember thing he has told me or there are times that he gets so angry if I tell him he already told me things. Over the last year I can’t even get him to go to the doctor for his rechecks. Our doctor told me last week that she will not refill his meds until they see him.So can anyone give me help on how to get him to the doctor so he can get his meds or do I just let it go, and when he runs out and has to go to the ER let them tell him. Help

August 29, 2012 at 5:30 am
(55) Phyllis says:

I am so afraid, i’m going to die from Copd, that i stay up all night long and go to sleep ,when my eyes will no longer stay open. I’m so depressed, because i had to resign from my job for medical reasons My breathing is terrible ,even though i use an inhaler and oxygen 24/7

August 30, 2012 at 7:34 pm
(56) Jess says:

My brother in law is 27 has 4 kids, smokes and always has stress and does not eat/exercise like he should. but is not overweight How long do you give him to live? Oh and he is in the early stages of COPD.

November 19, 2012 at 3:28 pm
(57) teagal says:

Hello! I was diagnosed with COPD when I was 31 years old.
I had bronchitis 6 times every winter. We used a stinky giving off toxins kerosene heater for heat
Did I smoke yes but very little.
After I was diagnosed, I started smoking more.
In 1998 I finally moved to Florida.
No more bronchitis no more stinky heater.
I quit smoking in 2005.
My COPD is now in the severe stage.
I try to walk a little every day plus do my household chores including shopping. I sell Avon which gets me out of the house.
I’m now taking liquid potassium iodine drops and I feel they may help.
I know it doesn’t hurt.
I remarried on 10-10-10.
I had to quit my job and go on disability in February of 2011.
God gives me strength and I’ll get through this.
Stay as active as you can for as long as you can.
Even a little will go a long way.
By the way–I’ll be 57 in a few months. 26 years and going strong :)

December 8, 2012 at 6:19 am
(58) marty says:

i was just diagnosed with mild copd / slightly shocked i just want to sell evrything before its my time loss for words !

December 10, 2012 at 9:19 am
(59) baz says:

hi all I amm
a chronic, I HAVE LATE STAGES EMPHYSMA,i HAVE 18% OF MY BREATHING CAPIBILITY ACCORDING TO THE V.A.but i have all the

December 23, 2012 at 2:06 am
(60) Courtney says:

Doc. just scared me half to death, hearing my “wheeze” and becoming alarmed, saying it was beyond my cold or even if that was turning to bronchitis. He started adamantly telling me to quit smoking (which I’ve been doing HEAVILY, especially these last several mos.). He did leave it at that, but didn’t return a call when I called to ask that , well, doing the math, his alarm had to be over COPD possibility. I CANNOT afford to have these tests on my insurance, nor my records, and suppose that an x-ray can at least fly under the radar there….possibly?

I’m only 38. Have had a terrible wheeze for about a year, which has in no way stopped me from massive amounts of physical activity–but I do tire more easily, and am frequently short of breath. This wouldn’t be so scary if every description said that COPD gets worse EVEN if you quit smoking (which I somehow managed to do in these last 3 weeks)!! This seems a lose-lose, and I am young and live to exercise…..

Apologies, just terrified that I’ve finally done myself in, or at least managed to possibly take away my one solace, heavy exercise (which, btw, the docs were baffled I could do–is that another clue?) eventually, since these none too cheery descriptions always describe as progressive. Is there any way to keep it at bay and get better? I realize I’m undiagnosed at the mo and may not have this, I just couldn’t put together any other combo that involved an alarmed doc “hearing something beyond a cold or bronchitis” who then proceeded to tell me to quit smoking–immediately, no exceptions. What else could he be suspecting, honestly? Chronic cough, wheeze, marked shortness of breath in just the last year?

Again, sorry, just panicked a bit after holding it in for 3 weeks….

January 7, 2013 at 8:47 pm
(61) shirley says:

I was diagnosed with copd just last year after stopping smoking for 28 years. I was down to 38% lung capacity by the time I was diagnosed. I was so sure it was my heart giving me problems. I know this is not going to be a pleasant way to depart this world. I have no one to blame but myself. No one made me smoke that first cigarette. I also have other health issues that make it hard at times to have good days much. I guess what I want to say is just enjoy any good days you get to the fullest. I am planning on going to New Jersey this spring and ride the Merry-Go-Round from Idora Park that was in Youngstown, Oh. I rode it when I was a kid. Hopefully that will be one of my GOOD days!

February 5, 2013 at 6:57 pm
(62) Elaine Neff says:

To Courtney,
Sorry you had to be alarmed. I was alarmed 1 1/2 yr. ago when I was diagnosed with pneumonia 2 times within 4 month period. Anyway, after I went to a Respiratory Specialist, I found out I had enphysema and he said I should be on oxygen 24/7. I was shocked and waited about deciding to go on oxygen. I had been tested with a tester which I wore to bed at night. Then several days later they delivered a machine to my house and oxygen, etc. I decided to use at night, which is what was recommended right then. So I did. I began to feel so much better. Then still in the daytime I was so tired, had to nap two times. So I got tested at doctor, and he wanted me to use daytime to avoid the strain on my heart. I am now on 24/7 and feel like a new lady!!! I have the portable backpack and use outside the home. It has really strengthened my immunity system too. I also use Spiriva, which helps, too, but the oxygen is the most important drug I have ever needed, with no side effects. It is a way to take care of my other organs, which had been strained before I used oxygen. They are all working much better.
I don’t know how long, but my quality of life has improved 100% for now.

February 23, 2013 at 4:54 pm
(63) Gina says:

My husband ended up going by ambulance January 8th,2013 and spent 7 days in the hospital, on oxygen and bi-pap. He also ended up transported again and placed in the hospital last year 7 days, five of which were in icu. Reason? copd exacerbations. He is now in the severe+stages according to the doctors, and is on oxygen 16 hours per day at home. I find myself resentful and angry because he was told this was going to happen two years ago by an er doctor IF he did not stop smoking, his famous response was and still is yeah yeah yeah…he has not had a cigarette since January 8th. I have told him if he starts again I will divorce him because I cant stand to go through this every year and he not take it serious. When we meet December 31,2007 I WAS debt free, owned my ownhome, my own car. We married December 31st,2013 and today we are 120,000.00 in debt from his medical bills and irs that he avoided for years who have now placed liens against him. NOW THIS and he does not eat or do his meds unless I physically hand them to him. I am about at my breaking point. I know it sounds bad , but I don’t know if I can do this with him not stepping up and doing what he should and taking it serious.

June 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm
(64) desert seorm vet says:

hi i am 51 yrs of age was a veteran of desert storm where we had to breathe the smoke from the oil well fires, sand, dust, and chemicals i have been diagnosed with severe copd i am on 3 different inhalers , oxygen zt 2 lpm and on cpap at night with oxygen and still smother to death wife wakes me during night where i have quiit breathing dr says my copd is worsening what if anything can be done or is it just time that it is coming to end however the v a is denying any culpability

July 6, 2013 at 7:26 pm
(65) donna says:

Hi my sister 47 yrs old and diagnoised with copd in 2007 and continues to smoke everyday .because she says enjoys it her husband passed away in january from copd she says she will never quit. Just wondering how long she can live with this

July 10, 2013 at 10:31 pm
(66) Robert Culp says:

After reading all 64 comments, stories, and fears on this page, I just wanted to comment. I watched both of my parents die from this disease. If you have COPD, and still smoke….CYANARA…

August 16, 2013 at 8:54 am
(67) judy lupi says:

I have copod and have been hospitalized many times but 3 years ago I nearly died due to double pneumonia. I was put in a drug induced coma for 3 days to remove the infection on my lungs. After my release from intensive care I spent 24 more days in intensive rehab to rebuild my lungs. I have quit smoking, however I am limited as to what I can do. I hope this story will influence others to quit.

August 17, 2013 at 2:15 pm
(68) linda says:

my mom has copd and she can barely move around. she is not on oxygen but she says she is having more difficulty breathing daily. She has this new medicine she takes three times a week to help. she is 78 years old had multiple bypass surgeries and weighs approximately 63-67 lbs and we can’t get her to eat, she sleeps a lot and has no appetite. I once read that a person can use up to 500 calories just breathing and just to maintain her current weight she would need to consume at least 700 calories in which he is no where near that amount of food. Any advice to help her would be appreciated. She did quit smoking but allows my sister and my uncle to smoke in the house she says it doesn’t bother her.

August 29, 2013 at 8:55 pm
(69) Pam says:

I am 56 with VERY severe copd. Had delivered home heating oil for over 20 years. In 2009 I was diagnosed with FEV1 of 25%, it is now 2013 and between exercising, keeping active, using 02 at night (only need it with exertion during day) taking vitamin A and E, my FEV1 has risen to 35%. So, going to continue as such. 2 times a week or more exercising at a gym on a treadmill. 1/2 hour at 3.0 incline and 2.4 speed, sometimes I can hike it up to 2.5 the last 15 minutes. I DO NOT feel like I have very severe COPD and refuse to let it put me down. I will continue to fight and NEVER give in to this disease!!!!

September 11, 2013 at 3:07 pm
(70) low says:

Hello, my grandma just passed away a month ago from copd. Her sister and mother passed away a few years back from it. I am a mother of 2 and a grandma. I am 39 and I was just told I have copd and asthma two days ago. I don’t know how the doctor can say that! A few months back I went to him and said I weez when I lay down. He put a thing on my finger and said I have 93% oxygen. He gave me an inhaler to use when I go to bed. A month ago I got sick. I never get sick. Last time was in1997. I got some kind of stomach bug then I got a chest cold while I was still trying to beat the other bug. I have a lot of junk in my lungs. I also was having really bad chest pains. My husband to me to the doctors because I’m not getting better. The nurse walked in and said its your copd And
asthma. I said I don’t have that! She went to the doctor and came back in and said I do and the chest pain was an asthma attack. I haven’t had any test done except that
Finger test. Don’t they have to take other test to diagnose
You?

October 14, 2013 at 5:07 am
(71) Di says:

I live alone and have stage 4 copd. I find it very difficult to live alone. I have been trying to downsize since 2011. It took me 4 years to get 3000 sq ft of house ready to market. Everything takes me 4 time if not more to complete. Once I overwork I am drained for the next 3 to 4 days. Now that the house is ready upkeep is a daunting task both inside and out. If I am very ill for 3 days in a row that is all it takes for me to get behind then I get a call that my home will be toured in one hour. Also do not income. SSD not enough quarters earned in the past 10 yrs, SSI over asset so there are many times i won’t have water, electric, a phone, internet, food etc…I do get meds though the mail bit can’t get to doctors appointments. I find it very difficult to sustain living alone. In fact I feel it is causing a huge decline in my condition. Often I wake on the floor only to realize I have passed out from an exasperation. Stage 4 COPD is not a stage that one should live in isolation. JMO based on personal experience

October 14, 2013 at 5:26 am
(72) Di says:

The easy answer…
would you apply for a job as a home caregiver/personal attendant?
would you apply for a job to be a maid?
a gardener/lawn care service?
a taxi driver?
do child care?
at .28 FEV1 I wouldn’t but have no choice
once poisoned by chloramine vapors, my life was never the same
my children now adults have accused me of being a bad mom because i did not paper them as before, I could not even take my daughter over the road to get her driver’s license, at 21 she still has no DL and she blames it all on me. Both my kids compare me to able bodied stay at home healthy moms who are married to men who make 80K and upwards. @Paul (33).you have a disease but it’s not you that has a character problem. Loved ones or those who are suppose to be loved ones do not understand and have no compassion….my dog treats me better than most people.

October 14, 2013 at 5:54 am
(73) Di says:

TIME TO UNITE ;)

Facebook Community “Coping with COPD”

October 24, 2013 at 5:16 am
(74) melissa says:

Hello people,I have been diagnosed wth severe asthma,copd,and emphysema.I am going to be 42 in Feb.I can’t believe this is happening.I have 1 /19 year old son and He is absolutely amazing. The thought of leaving him,or my other family members just tears me up.I too have been a smoker for a good 25 yrs.I finally stopped but the damage is done.it was also in the family on my Fathers side,we recently lost him to this horrible disease at the age of 65.we actually would go outside and smoke on breaks while he was inside gasping for air,how messed up I’d that?still can’t believe I did that.I just want to feel better and be able to live to see at least 1 grandchild,hmmmm we’ll see where this road takes me,I wish all of you the very best,and hope you you can be happy somewhat.God bless and take much care,Peace out!!!!

October 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm
(75) Daryl says:

Hi, my name is daryl. I never smoked in my life and was diagnosed with mild copd. I have exacerbations right now that are out of control. I used to be a very strong person and could do anything but now I cannot. I have a wife a two daugthers that I love very much and just want to be around to see them and be with them for along time. I am scared but my faith in the Lord keeps me stron. It has been very difficult at times and lonely since it is hard to find people to talk to about this condition. I am glad I can express my feelings here. God Bless!

November 11, 2013 at 6:55 am
(76) Chrissy Lamson says:

I AM GRATEFUL FOR THE PREVIOUS COMMENTS I HAVE READ ABOVE. I HAVE COPD AND I’M IN THE 4 TH STAGE NOW. I WAS DIAGNOSED IN 2002. I WAS A SMOKER FOR 30 SOME YEARS. I QUIT 2 AND ONE HALF YEARS AGO. I WENT INTO THE HOSPITAL IN 2008 FOR RESPITORY FAILURE. I FEEL LIKE THE HOSPITAL BROUGHT ME BACK TO LIFE. EVEN AFTER THAT I STILL CONTINUED TO SMOKE. I AM 52 YEARS OLD AND I HAVE A 16 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER TO RAISE. THAT CLOSE CALL MADE ME REALIZE THAT I WAS DETERMINED THAT I HAD TO NOT BE SELFISH AND THINK OF MY DAUGHTER AND FAMILY. I WANT TO LIVE AND I AM DETERMINED TO NOT TAKE EACH DAY FOR GRANTED AND TO TAKE IT 1 DAY AT A TIME. I BELIEVE IN A HIGHER POWER AND THAT IS WHAT GIVES ME THE STRENGTH TO SURVIVE AND GIVE EACH DAY ALL I CAN. GOD BLESS ALL WHO HAVE THIS “BREATH TAKING” DISEASE. I FEEL FOR YOU AND SHARE YOUR FEARS.

November 23, 2013 at 11:31 pm
(77) tim says:

I am a 54 year old male, I started smoking at a very young age I was diagnosed with bronchitis in 2000, in august I was diagnosed with copd, had a heart attack in September and quit smoking cold turkey the day they signed me out of the hospital and have not looked back. still smoke free. smoked for 38 years two packs a day it can be done. never thought I could quit my 6 year old daughter gave me the motivation.

November 28, 2013 at 3:48 am
(78) cathy ward says:

I was diagnosed with mild COPD in Feb after getting a nasty cold and cough. The day they told me I quit smoking. i am also asthmatic !!. Yes I know why was I a smoker. However since then I don’t wheeze, I don’t have a cough, haven’t used my ventolin inhaler since then. I moved house and changed GP and had another test done and now being referred to the specialist team as I no Longer appear to have symptoms, and my asthma seems better. I’m so confused right now as to whether I have COPD or not. I just want to know what was wrong or i wrong with me. Having read all your comments it makes me wonder if ive had a misdiagnosis.

December 16, 2013 at 10:26 am
(79) alan says:

I smoked cigars for one year twenty-one years ago. I began to have breathing difficulties two years ago and it is worse, not better. None of my doctors think the one year of smoking impacted my health, Yet, none can really say what is causing my problems. Frankly, I have lost faith in all the doctors–they are just “cookbook” chefs and though I appreciate their skills up to a point, I am convinced that they will never rise to the level of necessary empathy or insight necessary to treat me–or anyone else for that matter. There is only us–we need to seek out answers and help on our own and use the doctors to read the scans, etc. Thereafter, it really is just us.

January 25, 2014 at 5:06 pm
(80) louise says:

Im 32 i was diagnosed with copd at 30 .i had smoked since 14 .can anyone tell me on average how long someone with early stage will live i feel like im getting worse so may have gone to stage 2 but would like to no the average life expectancy just as a rough idea thankyou ….louise

February 2, 2014 at 1:08 am
(81) Ray says:

Copd is not a death sentence. COPD is a wake up call. Your body can do some amazing things when in the healing process. Stop Smoking and give your body a chance. Change the diet. Exercise is so important. When I was diagnosed I figures it wouldnt hurt to try. The current condition wasnt exactly getting me places. Try and make it your personal vendetta to kick its butt. Despite what medical research says nothing is impossible. STAY POSITIVE !!!!!!

February 2, 2014 at 1:40 am
(82) deborah says:

Ray, I love that you have such a positive outlook on life. Thanks for your comment.

February 25, 2014 at 10:30 am
(83) esther says:

i know on friday i am going to be diagnosed with copd, i have not smoked in over 22 years, like a few people i never thought i would end up with this disease, i am 51 and so depressed, my mother is in the last stage of copd also has lung cancer, if their was a drink that i could take to sleep and not wake up i would, i see young people smoking all the time and feel so frustrated knowing what they are doing with their lungs, i have early copd and already i am fed up with feeling of not being able to breathe, god know what it feels like to be in the last stage, i am feeling so negative right now,

March 16, 2014 at 10:45 am
(84) Daniel says:

I recently went in for a cortisone shot for my arthritis. The doctor was listening to my breathing and so matter of factley says he hears a ‘little emphysema.’ He finished the procedure and that was that. Nothing else mentioned about what he said. OMG!, I’m feeling crazy now. I cant sleep, and am having panic attacks. I’m 55 and have smoked since i was 15, Thanks to my uncle for showing me how cool smoking is. I made an appointment to talk about what he said. I guess now i know how i will die. I just didn’t think it would be so soon.

March 29, 2014 at 1:57 pm
(85) ros says:

Hi.I have stage 3 copd and find my life may as well be over.I do not smoke new but was on 20 a dat since I was about 20,am now 58. I find this a very lonely time as really only my sister has shown real concern,things between my husband and I had died some time ago and even though he is doing all the right things like meals and housework I can’t do there is no love.He never even heals me the day I was told,and that’s the time you really need a pair of living arms to hold you tight and let you know they will be there with you.I wonder how long I have but also am very scared of what’s ahead.If you smoke please stop.Nothing is worth the he’ll this has brought.All the best to everyone and take care of yourselves

March 30, 2014 at 6:28 am
(86) Darcy says:

I am a 53 year old male with severe COPD, liver and kidney damage, osteoporosis (bone disease), and degenerative arthritis of the spine.
I am on home oxygen while sleeping and during daytime exertion at 2 L/min. I was prescribed Spiriva, Symbicort and Ventolin inhalers for COPD and I have several other medications for my other issues.

I would like to stress the point of questioning your doctor about every they say if you are not COMPLETELY sure of what he/she is saying. You need to be well informed about your condition(s) so you may best determine how to run your life. You should also ask about ANY prescriptions you receive. Ask what EXACTLY they are for, will they interact with any of your other medications and what the side effects are. Medications are routinely issued that have SERIOUS side effects yet most people are never made aware of them and only find out when they have complications due to them later.

Get your your prescription from your doctor but before you get it filled search the Internet for side effects and interactions. I usually start with drugs.com

REMEMBER: It your body and your life, YOU have to be the one who
decides what goes into your body and what the risks and benefits are!

ros (85) I feel very deeply for the lack of warmth, tenderness and kindness you have right now. I HIGHLY suggest you browse/join “COPD In Canada & The World” at http://philns.proboards.com/ They can answer all of your questions about COPD and have special sections for Caring & Sharing. They will make you feel loved.

Darcy

March 30, 2014 at 8:55 am
(87) ros says:

Hi Darcy,thank you so much for your very kind thoughts and suggestion which I will do.As I said I am in a very bad place right now as are a lot of others but thanks to positive posts like yours from people who have a lot more than copd to deal with it makes me think how right you are it is our life.and I/ we can decide how to deal with it.I blame my husband but as we all know it takes two to tango and I should be thankful that he is willing to help.I do believe that we do need emotional support as fear is hard to deal with.I am not able to do much as my breath goes so easily now and I have pains in my arms and down both my sides.Like you I an on a lot of meds and will now ask if these may be the cause.I again thank you for your kindness and wish you all the best.I will be thinking of you in my pleas to those I chat to above.Mind yourself.

March 30, 2014 at 9:47 am
(88) copd says:

Hi Ros,
I am sorry you’re having such a hard time. I’d like to invite you to join the COPD Forum here at About.com. Once you do, you don’t ever have to be alone again. You will meet a lot of loving, caring people who are struggling with similar issues. Here is the link:

Hope to see you there.

March 30, 2014 at 11:59 am
(89) ros says:

hi copd.Thank you I have joined and again as I said to Darcy I want to thank you for caring as I know we all have a lot to deal with but to be able to unload our fears helps so much,because of you both I will never feel alone again.This will help me as I am now a member of cold in Canada as Darcy suggested.as well.As they say it’s good to talk.Take care and thanks.

March 30, 2014 at 2:09 pm
(90) copd says:

You’re welcome Ros; see you in the COPD Forum. Be sure to post as a newbie so people will welcome you.

April 8, 2014 at 1:08 am
(91) sara bissett says:

My father is 60yrs old. He was just diagnosed with congenitive heart failure and copd ;( I know it might be hard to do this over internet. But would you possibly be able to tell me how long he can live with this ;(

April 8, 2014 at 11:32 am
(92) copd says:

Sara,

How long your dad lives after diagnosis depends upon several factors. Please read:

Factors Associated with COPD Life Expectancy. Here is the link:

After you read it, if you still have questions, please email me at copd(at)aboutguide(dot)com.

April 10, 2014 at 2:52 pm
(93) DJ says:

My grandfather will be 89 this year. He used to be a heavy filter-less smoker for over 30 years. He quite smoking 30 years ago and later was diagnosed with emphysema. Today (while in the hospital) he was told that he was at the end stages of COPD, and his heart rhythm is spearatic at best. The doctor suggested to my mom that she sign him up for hospice and that when he is able to go home he will go home to hospice. He is just a bag of bones, he doesn’t eat much of anything. He may weigh 90lbs. They brought him in lunch and he won’t eat or drink because it is to hard to breath as it is. What kind of a time expectancy could he still have? I need to be able to see him before he leaves us.