Stop smoking aids are available to help those who wish to quit smoking but are having difficulty. Whether you used smoking cessation medications, nicotine replacement therapy or another approved method to help you quit, what made you decide to try a particular quit aid and how has quitting benefited your life? Share Your Story...
The Patches Worked for Me
- Ive been smoking a pack a day for over 15 years. I've tried the pills, sprays, gum and nothing worked. I eventually gave the patches a try and it really did work for me. It's not been long enough for me to say I'm out the woods yet but I cant see me ever smoking again.
- —Guest graeme p
- My lung doctor said to remove 1 cigarette a day out of my pack a day and put it in the freezer for a "bad" day, and just cut back one cigarette a day, each week. By the time I got down to 5 cigarettes a day, I wondered why I even smoked them ( save the ones in the freezer, and if I HAD to have one, use them.) If you slip, then get right back on the same track. Don't just feel like you blew it. Also use nicotine gum. The heart doctor said a few pieces a day would be OK. After a year and a half of no smoking, slipped up and had a few. My husband still smokes and I bought a pack while on vacation with him. Then he decides to quit and bought my brand to share! Told him don't buy me anymore!! Will quit again.
- —Guest 60 yr old
- After reading about emphysema I got so scared that I quit that day. I have not smoked for three years and I no longer associate with people that smoke. I did it cold turkey! No substitute drug, patch etc - willpower that's all
- —Guest Anita
COPD Was Enough For Me
- I was diagnosed with mild COPD. That was it. I've tried quitting many times but this was the extra kick in the pants that I needed.
- —Guest Jim
ICU & Nicotine Patch
- I woke in ICU with a nicotine patch on and didn't fight it. That was Easter Sunday 2010. I no longer use the patch and still have not lit another cigarette. I am not sure how much success is to be credited to the patch or Pneumonia, COPD Exacerbation, Heart Attack, Congested Heart Failure, Kidney Failure & Obstruction of the Bowel...all at the same time. Perhaps a combination but nevertheless, glad it's worked!
- Using an e-cig has helped me to give up smoking cigarettes. It just delivers nicotine similar to a patch and you still have the 'hand to mouth' and can see vapour like smoke too. Slowly then cut down the amount of nicotine in the ecig and you will be eventually off that too.
- —Guest ex smoker
- The Nicoderm patch worked for me. I bought all my patches on EBAY and it worked out great. I did stay on the patches a lot longer than the program says. I even cut the last dosage (7 mil) in half and used for a few weeks. I smoked for over 40 years but have not smoked for 9 months now.
How I Stopped Smoking
- I tried all the stop smoking aids -- the patch, Chantix and hypnosis. None of them worked, so I just made up my mind that when I got to the last pack of cigarettes in a carton, I was determined not to buy anymore. For the 1st weeks or so, when I got the urge for a cigarette, I would twirl a fake cigarette until the urge was gone. I have been cigarette free for 1 year. My stop date was February 14, 1999.
Cigarrest Worked For Me
- I tried Cigarrest and it worked best for me. I think I was REALLY ready to quit and it was the first thing that I found online. I liked it because it is said to be all-natural. I guess try other methods and if they don't work you can try Cigarrest.
- I smoked 3 packs a day for years, even smoked in the shower. My feet never touched the floor until I had a cigarette in my mouth, even if I was just going to the bathroom in the middle of the night. What worked for me, and it was the first time I ever decided to quit was the "patch". I did not avoid friends who smoked and continued to go places where I had smoked. The patch truely worked! I've been smoke free for about 17 or 18 years now. I wish I had the money I wasted on those cigarettes for the roughly 30 years I did smoke, but I'll never waste another dime on them.
- —Guest Gail
- I did it cold turkey after looking at some pictures of emphysema lungs. Yuk!
- —Guest Pam
- My mother smoked with oxygen hooked to her nose..... couldn't give em up. She left this world in 2005. Her heart couldn't continue and "emphysema" got her. I've ruined my lungs smoking. I stopped in 1997. My doctor said "Mr. Branch if you don't quit it will get worse. If you do quit, it will probally never get any better. I guess I can't understand people smoking after the fact. Life is short enough without this. If you really want to quit, you will. Its all a state of mind.
- —Guest Ron
A Support Group
- I tried everything from the nicotine patch to Chantix, but the thing that helped me most was joining a local quit smoking support group.
- —Guest Jennifer
Chantix, of Course
- Chantix worked really well for me. No real side effects and it helped me finally quit after trying many times before.
- —Guest Denise