The following step-by-step guide will demonstrate the correct way to use a Spiriva Handihaler:
- Open the grey dustcap of the Spiriva Handihaler device.
- Open the white top of the Spiriva Handihaler mouthpiece. That should reveal the the tiny slot where the capsule (also known as the capsule reservoir) will be inserted.
- Remove the capsule from the Spiriva capsule package. IMPORTANT: THE SPIRIVA CAPSULE SHOULD NEVER BE SWALLOWED!
- Place the capsule into the Spiriva capsule reservoir.
- Close the white mouthpiece cover on the Spiriva Handihaler device.
- Push the button on the side of the Handihaler. This punctures the Spiriva capsule and allows the medication to be released and subsequently inhaled.
- Place the Spiriva Handihaler to your mouth and tightly seal your lips around the mouthpiece. Breathe in quickly and deeply through the Spiriva Handihaler. You should hear a rattling sound as you take a deep breath. This indicates the medication is being dispensed correctly from the capsule.
- If possible, hold your breath for five to ten seconds, then breathe out normally.
- Rinse your mouth with water or brush your teeth after each use.
- Open the white mouthpiece cover and remove the capsule from the capsule reservoir.
- Close the white mouthpiece cover and grey dustcap of the Spiriva Handihaler. Throw the capsule away in the trash.
- Clean your Spiriva Handihaler once a month per the manufacturer's instruction.
- Never use anyone else's Spiriva Handihaler. Keep this and all other medication away from children.
- Do not use more than the recommended dose of Spiriva.
- Do not store used or unused capsules inside the Spiriva Handihaler.
- Do not remove a capsule from the package until it is ready to be used. Doing so may reduce its effectiveness.
- Avoid getting the powder from the Spiriva capsule into your eyes.
What You Need
- Prescription from your doctor
- Spiriva Handihaler
- Spiriva capsules