Daily Life With COPD
- Coping with COPD
- Daily Life with COPD
- Airway Clearance Techniques for COPD
- Breathing with COPD
- Improving Indoor Air with COPD
- Sex and COPD
- Working with COPD
- Sleeping with COPD
- Dealing with Doctors and Hospitals
- COPD and Your Diet
- Exercising with COPD
- Traveling with COPD
- Swine Flu and COPD
- Caregiver Support
- Handling the Holidays with COPD
- Share Your Thoughts
Coping with COPD
Depression - anxiety - remorse. Is coping with COPD difficult? You bet it is, but loading your COPD toolbox with effective coping strategies will help you meet your difficulties head-on.
- The Emotional Effects of COPD
- Depression Medication and COPD
- Dealing With Insensitive Comments
- Online COPD Support Group
Daily Life with COPD
When you have COPD, you must discover ways to live that you may not have known about before your diagnosis. Letting go of the past and learning to live differently is challenging, but can be done.
- Living with COPD
- Living Better with Lung Disease
- How to Keep COPD From Worsening
- Normal Adult Vital Signs
- The Hazards of Wood Burning Stoves
- Proper Handwashing Technique
- How Often Should I Wash My Hands?
- 10 Ways to Save on Prescriptions
- 6 Tips for Planting a Healing Garden
- Traveling With Oxygen By Plane
- Managing End of Life Issues
- COPD and Alcohol
- 12 Energy Conservation Techniques
- How to Prevent COPD Exacerbation
- 10 Tips for Fighting Fatigue
- 23 Common COPD Triggers
- Chronic Pain and COPD
- 10 Things to Stop Doing if You Have COPD
- 8 Ways to Protect Youself From Wildfire Smoke
Airway Clearance Techniques for COPD
People with COPD often have problems clearing mucus from their lungs. Airway clearance techniques are an important part of daily living and should be performed on a regular basis to rid your lungs of mucus and reduce the risk of infection. Find our more about airway clearance and COPD.
- 5 Airway Clearance Techniques for COPD
- Controlled Coughing: The Most Effective Means of Airway Clearance
- 4 Airway Clearance Devices for COPD
- Postural Drainage Positions for COPD
- How to Perform Manual Chest Percussion
- How to Perform Manual Chest Vibration
- Compare Prices on Therapeutic Body Massagers
Breathing with COPD
Breathing exercises and airway clearance techniques can help clear your airways, strengthen your diaphragm and relieve shortness of breath.
- Breaking the Dyspnea Cycle
- Breathing Exercises for COPD
- Diaphragmatic Breathing
- Pursed-Lip Breathing
- Managing Dyspnea During Meals
- Managing Dyspnea in Cold Weather
- Using an Incentive Spirometer
- 10 Tips to Manage Shortness of Breath
- 13 Dietary Tips For Better Breathing
- My Pulse Ox is Normal. How Can I Be Short of Breath?
Improving Indoor Air with COPD
Indoor air pollution is harmful to health and may worsen COPD symptoms. Find out how you can improve your indoor air and live a better quality of life.
- The Effects of Pollution on COPD
- 11 Steps to Better Indoor Air Quality
- 10 Houseplants that Purify Indoor Air
- The Pros and Cons of Air Purification Systems
Sex and COPD
Can sex after a COPD diagnosis still be enjoyable? You bet it can! Learn ways to rekindle the flame that once burned so brightly and re-enhance your sex life.
Working with COPD
While it's true, COPD has a dramatic effect on your personal and social life, it also greatly impacts your job and your ability to work effectively. Learn more about dealing with COPD in the workplace.
Sleeping with COPD
Sleep disturbances are common in people who have COPD. From insomnia to sleep apnea, sleep disorders can have a negative impact on your health. Discover how you can get a better night's sleep in spite of COPD.
- COPD and Transient Nocturnal Desaturation
- COPD and Sleep Apnea
- 13 Tips for Getting a Good Night's Sleep
- Medical Management of Sleep in COPD
Dealing with Doctors and Hospitals
Dealing with your doctor or being admitted to the hospital can be a frightening experience, even for the most seasoned patient. Discover ways to communicate better with your doc and make your hospital admission less intimidating.
- Preparing for a Doctor's Appointment
- Packing for the Hospital
- 10 Questions Every Patient Should Ask Before Surgery
- 10 Questions for Your Doctor About COPD
COPD and Your Diet
Some people with COPD require as many as 10 times the calories just to breathe. Others need less calories because being a bit heavier makes it more difficult to breathe and stay active. Whatever the case may be, a healthy diet is paramount to how well you feel and manage the disease.
- Guidelines for a COPD Diet
- Healthy Eating Tips for COPD
- Managing Obesity and COPD
- Malnutrition and COPD
- Tips for Reducing Sodium In Your Diet
- Adding Creative Calories To Your Diet
- The Anti-Inflammatory Diet and COPD
- 6 COPD Super Foods
- Foods That May Worsen COPD Symptoms
Exercising with COPD
Good nutrition and a sensible exercise program are an important part of any healthy living program, but they are crucial if you have COPD.
- Exercise Basics for COPD
- Top 10 COPD Exercise Videos
- Walking and COPD
- Functional Fitness for COPD
- Increasing Your Overall Flexibility
- Warmup Exercise for Your Neck
- Warmup Exercise for Your Shoulders
- Warmup Exercise for Your Calves
- Warmup Exercise for Your Quads
- Home Pulmonary Rehab Exercise Equipment
- How to Improve Exercise Tolerance
Traveling with COPD
Traveling with COPD can be challenging, even for the most seasoned traveler. But, don't let that stop you! Discover ways to make traveling with COPD safer and more enjoyable.
Swine Flu and COPD
The swine flu, like seasonal flu, is something that COPD patients should take precautions against. Find out more about swine flu and swine flu vaccine safety.
- Swine Flu and COPD: Are You At Risk?
- Swine Flu Officially a Pandemic
- Deaths From Swine Flu Related to Bacterial Pneumonia
- Who Should Get a Swine Flu Shot?
- Swine Flu Vaccine Safety Information
Being a caregiver for a patient with COPD can be one tough job, which is why you will need all the support that you can get.
- Hiring a Caregiver
- Caregiver Coping Tips
- Where to Find Caregiver Resources
- List of Common COPD Medications
- 10 Things You Can Do To Help Someone With COPD
Handling the Holidays with COPD
Holidays can be particularly stressful for people with COPD. Find out how you can deal with them more effectively.
- COPD Prevention Tips for Santa
- Santa: An Unhealthy Role Model?
- Beating Holiday Stress
- How to Spend Chirstmas in the Hospital
- 2010 Christmas Gift List
- 2009 Christmas Gift List
- Avoiding Holiday Weight Gain
- New Year's Resolutions for COPD
- Last Minute Christmas Gift Ideas for People With COPD
Share Your Thoughts
One of the best ways to share suggestions or learn information from others about COPD is through User Answers. A unique, interactive tool designed to enrich the reader's experience, User Answers are fun and easy to participate in, and allow readers to have their suggestions and comments be part of real, live About.com articles.
- Share Your Favorite Travel Tips
- What Are Your Personal COPD Triggers?
- What Helps You Fall Asleep?
- How Did You Apply for Social Security Disability?
- What Type of Exercise is Easiest for You?
- How Do You Handle Breathing in Cold Weather?
- What Scares You Most About Swine Flu?
- What Do You Want Friends & Family to Know About COPD?
- What is the Most Frightening Aspect of COPD?
- How do you Deal With Insensitive Comments About COPD?
- What's on Your Hospital Packing List?
- Share Your Healthy Eating Tips
- Share Your Tips for Spending Christmas in the Hospital
- How Has Obesity Affected Your Life?
- What Don't You Want for Christmas?
- What Preparations Did You Take Before Having Surgery?
- What Made You Decide to Try the E-Cigarette?