The world is gearing up for World COPD Day on November 14, 2012 by offering community awareness events across the globe.
World COPD Day is an annual event organized by the Global Initiative for Chronic Obstructive Lung Disease (GOLD). Their mission is to improve awareness and care of COPD. This year, World COPD Day centers around the theme "It's Not Too Late."
To follow is a list of several events scheduled for this important day:
- United Hospital St. Paul, Minnesota: Information booths for health care workers, patients and the public. Contact Katie Westman 651-241-4832.
- Kindred Transitional Care and Rehab Wyomissing, Pennsylvania: Event includes one on one consult and education sessions with pulmonary specialist, medical director, dietician and PT director and simple spirometry testing. Light refreshment and free COPD literature hand outs, spacers, mininebs & American Lung Association literature & brochures, and other info on tobacco cessation, secondhand smoke effects, and COPD, as well as a short PP on COPD presented. Contact Ms. Michele Maciejewski, R.R.T 610-376-3991.
- Cabell Huntington Hospital, Huntington, West Virginia: Information for health care workers, patients and the public. Event includes nutritional advice, smoking cessation, COPD screening, spirometry testing, pharmacotherapy questions answered, demonstration of device specific tools to assist with management of disease. Contact Jim Perrine 304-399-2881.
- Pickens Technical College Respiratory Student Department Denver, Colorado: Free spirometry and pulse oximetry testing. Contact Grace Noynay 720-261-9085.
- University of Tennessee Knoxville, Tennessee: Free COPD screening offered to the public. Contact Scott Elder RRT 865-305-5867.
- Hanover Hospital Hanover, Pennsylvania: Information booths for healthcare workers, patients and the public. Tours of pulmonary rehab facility. Contact Vicky Shrader 717-633-8836.
- KSB Hospital Dixon, Illinois: Information booth plus COPD screening and pulse oximetry check. Contact Vicki Friedrich 815-288-5531.
- Provena Covenant Medical Center Urbana Illinois -- Breath of Life Speaking Event. Register online here.
- Mayo General Hospital Castlebar Ireland: Information day includes spirometry and carbon dioxide testing, smoking cessation advice. Contact 094-9021733.
If you know of an event in your area, please be sure to share about it below in the comment section.