1. Health

Deborah Leader, RN

E-Cigarettes Banned in Canada But Smoking Isn't?

By October 28, 2012

I don't profess to know a lot about the e-cigarette industry -- my interest only recently  sparked while researching an article I wrote for this website -- but I had to laugh today after reading on a news website that the sale of e-cigarettes containing nicotine is illegal in Canada but the sale of real cigarettes isn't.  And, apparently Canada is not the only country that's doing this.

The advertisement, import and sales of e-cigarettes containing nicotine were banned in Canada in March of 2009. Since that time, thousands of Canadians who use them have been forced to buy them in other countries and have them shipped across the border where they can be confiscated by customs officials.

E-cigarettes containing non-nicotine cartridges are not banned, nor are other nicotine replacement therapies like Nicorette gum or the nicotine patch. The issue has set off a wave of controversy that has yet to end.

Health Canada hasn't made the use of the e-cigarettes with nicotine illegal (yet) and cites the following reasons for the current ban:

• Improper use can lead to nicotine poisoning
  • They haven't received market authorization
  • They can cause addiction
  • Lack of quality control

Many Canadians suspect the ban is not due to health issues at all, but to the millions of dollars in governmental tax revenue generated each year by the sale of tobacco products. If more people switch to e-cigarettes, less people buy the real deal, which places a big strain on the tobacco industry. It also means that there will be less tax dollars to fill the pockets of the Canadian government.

What do you think is the real reason behind this ban? Are you as unraveled as I am about the double standard that exists here? Why would Health Canada allow the sale of cigarettes that kill hundreds of thousands of people each year, yet ban the sale of e-cigarettes because they consider them to be unsafe? I welcome your comments as I continue to search for answers to these questions.

Read more about:

The Pros and Cons of E-Cigarettes

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook

Comments
October 28, 2012 at 4:39 pm
(1) Klaus K. says:

“Many Canadians suspect the ban is not due to health issues at all,”

And they are right …

“but to the millions of dollars in governmental tax revenue generated each year by the sale of tobacco products.”

Could be, but not likely the reason, since E-cigarettes are not competing with real cigarettes. They do however compete with Nicorette and other pharmaceutical cessation tools.

So by banning E-cigarettes your government is upholding a monopoly for the pharmaceutical giants, Pfizer, Glaxo & Johnson, which in turn are big time sponsors of the medical and the public health establishment. This is called corporatism.

October 28, 2012 at 6:54 pm
(2) copd says:

Good point about the competition between e-cigs and other nicotine replacement products.

Also, as an FYI to everyone, I know this is not really a new topic, but I knew nothing about these kinds of bans until I browsed the web today for news stories. Apparently, Canada is not the only country doing this type of thing. It’s a wonder USA hasn’t tried it yet, considering our huge deficit. Ooopppsss, I hope they’re not listening!

October 29, 2012 at 4:44 am
(3) Mike says:

Ahh, you can always buy e-cigarettes or cigarettes & cigars online. Just google it. Eg. cheapcigarettescanada.com

October 29, 2012 at 7:39 am
(4) Switcher says:

You nailed it on the head. Canada and many other countries are only interested in the funding provided by Big Pharma, spurred by the WHO and nothing else. There is more on the horizon…

October 29, 2012 at 8:55 am
(5) Bob J says:

The most dangerous product is Chantix, a known killer whose victims can be named and is already banned for many people in the transportation industry. The Chantix ban needs to be extended.

October 29, 2012 at 7:12 pm
(6) catherine tyerman says:

I have been using an electronic cigarette for almost 2 years, it was the only thing that worked for me to get off tobacco. My lung issues which were serious have cleared up,and I am thankful everyday for my ecig! big pharma and tobacco are definitely lobbying against them until they figure out how to get their piece of the pie. shameful! These ecigs have helped thousands of people!

October 29, 2012 at 9:21 pm
(7) Balistix says:

The E-cig is The only method that helped me quit the bad habit. As far as addicting they are way off on there findings as most vapers after time start to lower there nicotine level. This is totally all about making money as stated above by others. Just hope they don’t get there greedy hands on this pie..

October 30, 2012 at 8:37 am
(8) Karen Carey says:

(con’t) I was able to stop smoking virtually overnight, I will never again buy FDA-approved pharmaceutical products that have a dismal success rate. THR threatens the revenues of large companies that can afford to donate millions to anti-smoking groups, which have decided that it’s not enough to get a person to quit SMOKING, the use of NICOTINE is now being vilified by these groups, unless the source of your nicotine is pharmaceutical. Corporations have an obligation to their stockholders, who expect profits. Reduced-harm options allow smokers to continue to use nicotine recreationally, which reduces profits for these companies AND reduces tobacco tax revenue for government.

Cities like Boston are banning e-cigs where smoking is banned, including outdoor patios and loading docks, despite there being no evidence that vapor is harmful. Employers are discriminating against not only smokers, but nicotine users, by refusing to hire anyone who tests positive for nicotine use, when testing for tobacco smoking are readily available. Landlords are refusing to rent to people who have turned to this safer alternative, telling e-cig users to live elsewhere. The anti-tobacco groups have denormalized smoking to the point that public health officials lost the ability to think rationally. Science proves that smoking is bad, and science proves that other methods of using nicotine are exponentially safer. Hundreds of deaths have been directly attributed to Chantix but there are no reports of death or serious health problems reported from the proper use of an e-cig. Yet Pfizer is now testing Chantix on 13 – 16 year old children!

The Family Smoking Prevention and Tobacco Control Act prohibits vendors from making claims that some methods of nicotine delivery are safer than others. As a consumer I can confidently say that THR is a strategy that works. Governments who attempt to block the sale of these products are working against public health. It’s time to stop the lies.

October 31, 2012 at 8:35 am
(9) dan says:

Not to fear people. Corporatism is obviously a factor, but blue cig has recently been purchased by 1 of the biggest corporations out there. I’ve even seen a commercial about it on television. Since 1 of the big boys is going to be pushing an electronic cigarette agenda, I bet in the next few years at least you are going to see that ban lifted. As we have seen here in America, the big players always get their way, especially when they want to open a new market that may have been previously thought of as a niche market. we may see a bunch of stupid regulation as is par for the course with any type of corporatism, but at least there will still be a market.

October 31, 2012 at 8:46 am
(10) Debbie says:

I have been using an electronic cigarette for 18 months and can say in all honesty that I feel 110% better. I no longer wake up hacking and have more energy. I didn’t begin to use ecigs to quit smoking at first, I had given up hope of ever quitting, but as a way to save money on the “sin taxes” levied on tobacco. The longer I used an ecig the less I wanted a tobacco one. Also my husband is highly sensitive to second hand smoke but has no issues with me using this device in our home or with being in a room full of others doing the same.
It really is more about the money lost than the health of people which is a sad.

October 31, 2012 at 8:52 am
(11) Dopey says:

Big tobacco and pharma are clearly more important to the government than Canadian citizens. Maybe we should start building guillotines on Parliament’s front lawn (while eating cake)?

October 31, 2012 at 9:26 am
(12) Frank the Saint says:

Canadians are most accurately portrayed in South Park. That is all.

October 31, 2012 at 9:40 am
(13) Zain says:

I could not quit smoking using traditional NRT “solutions” or any other means. Zyban was actually very dangerous for me because my doctor did NOT warn me of the chance of heightened anxiety and depression, which I also struggled with at the time. It wasn’t pretty and I’m lucky that I was able to recognize the negative effect Zyban was having on me before it got too bad. Others haven’t been so lucky!

E-cigarettes did what nothing else could do, namely giving me freedom from the chemical and financial slavery inflicted by tobacco cigarettes which are much worse than they really have to be, thanks to corporatism and an inhumane lust for obscene profits. It really saddens and angers me when they try to restrict access to such an important tool in tobacco harm reduction because too many lives are at stake!

I make my own e-liquid, so I *know* exactly what is in it and how much nicotine I use. In fact, I consume much less nicotine than when I smoked!

The argument that improper use can lead to nicotine poisoning seems ridiculous to me as well because you can only consume so much before you have to stop, too much nicotine is obvious and not pleasant. Nobody smokes until they’re sick from the nicotine. It’s no different with an e-cig.

The argument that it can cause addiction is even more ridiculous because I was already addicted! Nobody that I have ever seen is trying to market e-cigarettes towards non-smokers and I have been researching this subject in-depth for over a year now.

That e-cigarettes can be extremely affordable is also very important to me, because my income is very limited. It’s my health, my money and my right to choose for myself. Anything less than that is a violation of my human rights.

October 31, 2012 at 11:42 am
(14) Shaun says:

As a 30 year smoker that tried every way possible to quit, vaping has changed my life. 10 months off cigarettes, my blood sugar is down, lost 25 pounds, lung capacity remarkable, I can run everyday again! Canada is always overprotecting their people, with the true motive maintaining Sin taxes. If they only listened to the reality of vaping and what it could do and stop worrying about nicotine element it would change their mind. They will listen but only when DuMaurier buys a E cigarette company like their US competitors! What does a pack cost in Canada these days over $10 10 months ago. It is a sad reflection on true intentions of short term political gain tactics! Funny thing is i can see us complaining 15 years from now on taxation on Nic liquid. I am happy to leave it alone, though i feel for the other millions dying as they havent tried E cigarettes as a lower risk alternative to smoking tobacco!

October 31, 2012 at 11:43 am
(15) copd says:

You’ve all made some excellent points. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

October 31, 2012 at 12:52 pm
(16) davelog says:

> Could be, but not likely the reason, since E-cigarettes are not competing with real cigarettes.

I think you’d be surprised, Klaus. Sure, there are people who use e-cigs to wean off nicotine and eventually stop using them, but there’s a huge group of people – me included – who have switched from cigarettes to vaping with no intention of losing the nicotine addiction. Electronic cigarettes are very much in direct competition with tobacco.

October 31, 2012 at 1:27 pm
(17) Gary Adelson says:

No government should ban anything, but rather, should put out whatever warnings they think appropriate, and then let thinking adults make up their own minds about what they choose to ingest, inhale, smoke, drink, or vape. Prohibition has never worked whether it was to ban alcohol, drugs, or now e-cigs with nicotine.

I’m one of millions who actually liked the act of smoking, but knew cigarettes were killing me, knew I should stop, tried all of the “approved” methods, and still could not succeed. I smoked for the nicotine, but what I got was the tar and thousands of other deadly carcinogens from the combustion of lighting the thing up. E-cigs have only HC and FDA approved ingredients, including the same things found in your toothpaste, mouthwash, and asthma inhalers. It’s just a safer nicotine delivery method. By the way, nicotine does not cause cancer and it has some beneficial properties that help me focus and concentrate. similar to caffeine.

Three years ago at the age of 55 and smoking 2-3 packs per day, I accidentally stumbled on to electronic cigarettes and was blown away that they were so similar to a real cigarette. I switched back then and have been “vaping” (called that because it’s vapor, not smoke) ever since. Like most who switch, my lungs quickly cleared up and I’m in excellent health now, nothing stinks, my breath is kissable again, and my family is thrilled….can you say win-win!

It’s entirely a financial matter for Health Canada as mentioned in the article. Canadians would be better served if HC simply helped study and contribute to the growing body of scientific research showing the safety and efficacy of vaping. The notion that putting any government resources towards banning something that has the potential to save so many lives, needs to be looked at by smokers, and non smokers alike.

October 31, 2012 at 2:18 pm
(18) Matt Zukowski says:

” It’s a wonder USA hasn’t tried it yet, considering our huge deficit. Ooopppsss, I hope they’re not listening!”

The USA did try it. Smoking Everywhere and NJoy went before the supreme court over it, and it was well established that e-cigarettes were no more a drug delivery device than cigarettes, which are legal, and as such were not subject to pre-market review. The FDA could also not produce evidence a single person was harmed despite over a million units sold.

Canadians interested in e-cigarettes with nicotine can always boil their own tobacco, and often do, or opt for nicotine that has been imported for other means, like nicotine that has been labeled for agricultural use. Health Canada hasn’t put dime one into investigating their concerns, and are not concerned with quality control as it’s perfectly okay for Canadians to use home brewed solutions over commercial refined nicotine.

October 31, 2012 at 2:59 pm
(19) Thad Marney says:

Whenever the Anti-Nicotine & Tobacco Zealots (ANTZ) complain about the fact that e-cigarettes don’t have “proven safety and effectiveness” (for smoking cessation) they are basically telling you that, unlike “approved” cessation methods, e-cigarettes haven’t been proven to be 98.4% effective in returning people to smoking cigarettes within 20 months after ending treatment with nicotine.

The FACT of the matter is that some percentage of people simply do not function very well in our modern society without supplementing with psychostimulants like caffeine and nicotine. The difference between e-cigarettes and “approved” methods that contain THE VERY SAME type of nicotine derived from tobacco is that pharmaceutical products include instructions to stop taking nicotine after about 12 weeks. But long after all the nicotine has been cleared of your system, some people continue to have “withdrawal” symptoms and the overwhelming majority will eventually “relapse”. This means that pushing for tobacco abstinence rather than harm reduction is basically guaranteeing the continuation of the tobacco market and the extortionate taxation that goes along with it. More than half the cost of a pack of cigarettes is taxes that find their way to the same pharmaceutical companies that profit when you try to quit smoking and profit again when you relapse, and profit yet again when you develop COPD or other diseases, and profit again when you need cancer treatment. The tobacco companies don’t make nearly as much money from this cycle of addiction as the so called “health” companies–in fact, tobacco companies would much rather their customers chose reduced risk products so they would continue to be their customers rather than becoming customers of addictive and dangerous corporate-drugs.

October 31, 2012 at 4:01 pm
(20) Kevin Reed says:

Gary I had to check and make sure that I didn’t write what you did cus I kept thinking this was me.

the only thing I would add is I converted my Dr to vaping and she hands out cards now instead of scripts.

November 1, 2012 at 11:28 am
(21) Greg jones says:

Are taxes on tobacco really a “sin” tax or are they collected to off-set the cost of health care incurred by legal tobacco consumption?

in Canada the reason or purpose for the tax seems unclear, while in the US it is a clear stipulation to compensate for state healthcare, and fund anti-smoking organizations.

Canada is allowing vapor – which the US says is potentially dangerous and harmful or rather “unkown” – but not nicotine.

Yet in studies, nicotine in and of itself has no negative health effects. In a two-year study on rats exposed to nicotine concentrations twice the daily intake of a heavy smoker, “We could not find any increase in mortality, in atherosclerosis or frequency of tumors in these rats compared with controls.

The government’s excuses are lame: you need very high concentrations of nicotine to induce poisoning. In high enough doses, anything is a poison – from sugar to milk fat.

“Market Authorization” refers to Health Canada. Once again, vapor is permitted. Then, see above.

Addiction is recognized as behavioral, not physical, and alcohol is legal, tobacco as well, and so are caffeine, chocolate, high fructose corn syrup..

Quality Control… for a government which admits it has conducted no study on e-cigs, and increasingly deregulates indsutries such as meat processing,, they certainly make big statements.

The e-cigarette industry has been heavily self-regulated – especially since North American companies started making instead of importing…

Again, a market study would clarify things for those who would bring “market authorization”.

But the government doesn’t want to spend money; it wants to keep collecting it, and find a way to do so with e-cigs…

November 1, 2012 at 2:46 pm
(22) TCG says:

I couldn’t agree with you more. I live in America, and they’re trying to ban the sell of e cigarettes here too. Last year the e cig business took about 2-3% of the Big Tobacco sales profit, which doesn’t seem like a lot but I’m sure the percentage took out a chunk of the execs bonuses. I use my SimpleCig e cigarette with almost every day for 2 years and it hasn’t caused any problems!

November 2, 2012 at 10:34 pm
(23) MidnightVaper says:

1. Big tobacco is BIG. These guys have a lot of resources and a lot of power and they lobby hard. There would not be too much motivation for politicians & government organizations to try and take on big tobacco.

2. Money is a big motivating factor for things to get done in politics. It’s not so much about all the tax dollars that would be lost by declining cigarette sales (after all they could simply decide to tax electronic cigarettes just as high or higher as regular cigarettes) but it’s the fact that approving the sale of electronic cigarettes represents very little monetary benefit to governments at this time. That is short sighted thinking in my opinion because one of the major possible monetary benefits would be in the reduced cost of heath care services to the Canadian public. Whatever loss in tax dollars from reduced cigarette sales could easily be out weighed by less public dollars spend on the health care system if electronic cigarettes are indeed much less harmful to our heath (as we probably all suspect).

3. Nothing moves very quickly when there is bureaucracy involved.

4. Vapers are under funded, under represented and unorganized. This is slowly being improved upon, even here in Canada (see ECTA) but for the most part we as the vaping community have not had enough of a movement to lobby politicians or to challenge the often misleading information and fear mongering that has been thrown our way. It is absolutely true that there has not been enough study or testing done on these products (at least until recently) to be able to take hard evidence to policy makers, government organizations and the general public and say yes this product is safe, a far better alternative and beneficial to both individual Canadians and the Canadian public at large. If we could do this in a way that clearly satisfies the critics then there would be much more pressure to open up e-cig sales both with and without nic, and in fact to welcome it.

The down side is… even if we do change the governments stance as well as public opinion, once electronic cigarette sales reach general acceptance they will just be taken over by big tobacco who will dump their billions of profit from analog sales into digital sales instead, and the government will probably tax and regulate the hell out of it.

November 3, 2012 at 7:43 pm
(24) Christy says:

I am going to Canada for a week. I only smoke e-cigs now (Ego-T). Will I have any problems taking it or traveling with it?

November 5, 2012 at 10:42 am
(25) Elaine Keller says:

Someone needs to clue Health Canada in on the facts: There have been zero cases of nicotine poisoning from e-cigarettes, which have been adopted several million people world-wide over a span of 9 years. A government stamp of approval won’t make e-cigarettes work any better. In fact, it’s more likely that government interference will make them less effective. For example, governments that have an unreasonable fear of nicotine poisoning might set nicotine maximums so low that people will return to smoking instead of staying quit. E-cigarettes are marketed to smokers, who are already addicted to nicotine. Researchers have said that the “abuse potential” for e-cigarettes is low. Any vendor that cares about repeat business will be implementing some type of quality control. Despite the lack of government control over quality, there have been no illnesses caused by switching to e-cigarettes. There have been plenty of illnesses caused or worsened by continued smoking!

November 6, 2012 at 5:19 pm
(26) David Emanuel says:

I’m one of those that quit smoking with e-cigs.
I smoked 2 packs a day for over 30 years. The “approved” cessation methods didn’t work for me- I even smoked with a patch on. I couldn’t stop and then after discovering e-cigs, I put down cigarettes within only a few days- it was amazingly easy.

Since stopping smoking almost 2 years ago. my health is much improved. I never got COPD but I breath much better now and my doctors are amazed.

I agree that it’s the big Pharma that funds government and in Canada, Health Canada that is going to lose big bucks if e-cigs with nicotine catch on. To me it’s an amazing discovery.!!

How much would the government fight a car that is self-propelling and does not depend on other energy sources? It would be the same thing.

November 8, 2012 at 12:39 am
(27) ff5s.com says:

you’re actually a good webmaster. The web site loading pace is incredible. It seems that you’re doіng any distіnctive trick.
Moreover, The contents are mаѕteгworκ.
you’ve done a excellent process on this subject!

November 8, 2012 at 4:25 pm
(28) Vapor4Life says:

Since November is COPD Awareness Month, Vapor4Life is helping to educate people about the awful disease. This article: http://www.vapor4life.com/blog/copd-chronic-obstructive-pulmonary-disease explains why our founder and CEO Steve Milin began using e-cigarettes. He suffers from COPD, but has made improvements to his lifestyle that include switching from smoking tobacco analog cigarettes to “vaping” (using) electronic cigarettes.
Since the invention is still pretty new, I believe that in time as more and more people become aware of electronic cigarettes they will become more acceptable. It’s clear that the product is the best alternative to smoking for many reasons.

November 9, 2012 at 2:44 am
(29) Mia says:

Verу gοod write-up. Ӏ defіnitely appreciate this webѕite.
Keep it up!

November 17, 2012 at 4:38 pm
(30) Liam says:

They have asked for punitive damage along with compensation.
A law article:. s ruling cleared the way for the experts.

November 23, 2012 at 2:53 pm
(31) Kelly bear says:

Have the Canadians banned perfume? I stopped smoking without really trying thanks to e-cigs. But the low nicotine capsules are fine and the rest is the basis of perfume. So why ban something that can help to stop smoking? Must be a risk of loosing revenue thing!!!

December 6, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(32) Sam Sereda says:

I also believe this is bull crap to put it nicely… I just tried to order the awesome new premium E-Cig made by BluCigs, but because i live in Canada, they wouldnt ship here because of our stupid law!!! Like ya, lets allow cigarette sales with tons of harmful chemicals, but a very safe alternative with only nicotine is banned and just the worst thing ever.. GET REAL!!! I am so angry, i really wanted to buy myself this E-Cig for Chirstmas, but now i cant, unless i want Non-Nicotine version, which is completely useless in my eyes.. HOW IS NON NICOTINE GONNA HELP ME?! So they allow the normal E-Cig in Canada, but not the one that has nicotine. Ughhh stuipid?! cigarettes have nicotine, all those other stop smoking products have nicotine.. Come on Canada, im really starting to hate this country…

AND MESSAGE TO Karen Carey AND ANYONE WHO READ HER POST!!!:
The product you are calling “Chantix” is actually called “Champix” lol.. Ive been on it before, its actually a great drug to help stop smoking. I was very successful on that drug until i stopped using it and started smoking again.

December 8, 2012 at 2:52 pm
(33) Dml says:

I’m in Australia where the fight to ban e-cigs by the hand wringing Nannies-Of-My-Welfare has started now that they have got their way with plain packaging of cigarettes. They will be banned because only 16% of the population smokes anyway and Australians are not generally single issue voters. e-cigs are for me. Chantix (or Champix, depending on your market) is dangerous (repackaged Welbutrin, a discredited anti-depressant, I believe). Nicotine gum tastes like chewing on a menthol butt-end, the patches give me an almighty rash and the prescription sprays are horrendously expensive, more so than cigarettes themselves. Unfortunately, majority public opinion is never going to be with us on this and we will lose a viable alternative to filthy cigs…

December 10, 2012 at 12:58 am
(34) Dwayne says:

This is actually a great display of the buddy-system between the corporations and our governments, in Canada AND the U.S. They tried the same crap here: FDA wanted to claim e-cigs are a “drug-delivery device”, and therefore should fall under FDA regulation. Thanks to an honest judge for shooting that down.

I went from 2 packs/day of Winston 100′s to about 3 cigs/day in just one week. My mood is better, I breathe better, and cough much less. I’m even clearing up a bout of bronchitis without anti-biotics.

If they tried to deprive me of my right to vape, I’d literally march into the downtown streets with guns blazing. People have to stop cowing-down to the corrupt corporatocracy / kleptocracy system.

December 11, 2012 at 6:08 pm
(35) Hossam tawfik says:

Maybe some people will feel strange, I’m leaving in Cairo- Egypt, I’m smoker for 20 years 80 per day I start smoke e cigarette one month ago, now I smoke 3-4 cigarette a day. I feel very good.
I have a question maybe Canadians can give me advise, in Egypt, product existing is very bad accordingly I import quality one from china when arrived to Egypt I discovered importing e cigarette is forbidden accordingly I decided to re-ship it by DHL to my brother in Canada then he can bring with him to Egypt end of the month.

My question is ( if I send it as I gift without any liquids) can he release it from customs or he can’t . Any advise will be highly appreciated

December 19, 2012 at 1:52 pm
(36) skrwitch says:

Improper use can lead to nicotine poisoning = You can use a similar scenario. Alcohol poisoning or food poisoning.

They haven’t received market authorization = Cigarettes aren’t even marketed.

They can cause addiction = Cigarettes cause addiction. Nicotine is addictive, it’s a fact. If a person is going to vape an e-cig then they are already addicted to nicotine before they’ve used one. (since e-cigs are only for those who smoke)

Lack of quality control = Same with normal cigarettes.

Although I don’t live in Canada, I feel sorry for those that vape who do. If they’ve banned e-cigs, they should ban normal cigarettes and nicotine gum, etc!

December 22, 2012 at 5:19 pm
(37) Jen says:

Think its nuts they want to ban vapor but not actual cigarettes when cigarettes lead to more deaths and illnesses and deaths than anything. It is most defiently a monopoly and tobacco is trying to hold its reigns. Theyve banned drugs, what size soda cups we drink, energy drinks, synthetic drugs, all because its harmful to our health. But the largest factor in all underlying health illnesses is still legal? Cigarettes are not only dangerous with 1st hand smoke,but also 2nd and 3rd. Its dangerous not only to us but also our environment. The government wants to put carbon tax on farms for cows emitting methane but not the cancer/lung/hearth disease inducing sticks? Please read and sign this petition I started. In the very least it will gain awareness and tell the government we are not a dollar sign we are a human life. If abortion is illegal so should cigarettes.

December 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm
(38) Mike says:

We’re facing this fight in Maryland–again

E-cigs are the only things that have helped me kick a lifetime habit. And I’ve tried ‘em all–the pathetically ineffective Big Pharma products were as much a joke for me as a cash cow for their makers.

The quit rate for patches, gum, lozenges and the like is 10 percent; and government regulators, together with entrenched special interests, wont conduct a good double-blind study on e-cigs because they KNOW, from anecdotal evidence, that the quit rate for this device going to be at least three times higher than the sad goods they either sell or cater to.

Seriously, ban e-cigs but keep real cigarettes on the market? How about I just hand you my wallet now… and you leave me some avenue that doesn’t end in me killing myself with cigarettes.

December 30, 2012 at 3:56 pm
(39) EGo User says:

I think it is a government tax issue because there are other products on the market that distribute nicotine to the body that are not ban, personally I think the Canadian government wants money from the sale in some way ie. taxes and so on, Only my opinion and is said Without Prejudice. It is my opinion that the government is hiding their agenda by saying it is a health risk and again my opinion as an ex smoker who used this system to assit in the stop smoking process is , that vapours are not as bad for you as actual cigs.

January 4, 2013 at 11:24 am
(40) bophus says:

@Sam, It is called Chantix in the US and Champix in other countries, like Canada.

I am currently using a e-cig to quit smoking. I havent had a cigarette in 4 day. I use the e-cig only when I absolutely have to, I am still on my 1st cartridge and take about 3 or 4 puffs a day. I was a pack a day smoker who was scared to death to quit smoking. This product has probably saved my life, because without it I would have continued to smoke regular cigarettes. It is not banned in the US and I dont think it will be, but if they do ban it. It looks like I will be breaking the law while using it. I dont ever want to go back to smoking cigarettes and hope that I am able to stay off of them. This has made it so much easier than other methods in the past that I have failed at.

January 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm
(41) Matthew says:

It isn’t surprising that the FDA did the same. But we know they were sued and liberty prevailed. E-Cigarettes are what they are to you, alternative/cessation devices. In this controversy they mean the same to me, it’s just a matter of time when I’m off nicotine as well. I wondr if hey’re figuring out how and how much they should tax. It would be a shame if they drive up the cost :-(

Thanks for listening. :-)

January 13, 2013 at 6:05 pm
(42) Geoff says:

Too much government.Too much socialism. Too much Big Brother. The e-cigaerette issue is just a symptom of our willingness to submit to the few who want to rule the many. Banning e-cigs is stupid, anyone can see it: we need to fight it along with so many other stupid government moves. Fight big government. Get involved.

January 18, 2013 at 8:49 pm
(43) jen says:

I, like many, tried EVERYTHING to quit smoking. Two days after trying my first e-cig I was done with cigarettes for good. I even got my mom, a 50 year smoker, to quit by introducing her to e-cigs. 18 months later and I am starting my own e-cig business. Unfortunately for me and the countless smokers out there who could be helped, the FDA now wants to bad them in the states too. Their real motivations are so transparent!

January 19, 2013 at 8:48 pm
(44) Kaisha K says:

Yet they sell the nicorette inhalers which is just a non electronic version of what they are trying to keep out it is still a nicotine cartridge in the inhalers and right in the instructions it warns that if you use the inhaler in conjoins with smoking a cigarette you may,,,,, have a nicotine overdose… but honestly ppl u can overdose on anything now a days even vitamin c are we gunna ban that now too

January 27, 2013 at 9:01 am
(45) peter says:

In years to come you will be paying duty on e/cigs this like drugs cant be stopped. The money men &goverments are the only ones who want to ban e/cigs. very true there killing millions with tobaco and charging billions in duty. we have helped customers kick theh habit even a chap on 60 a day see the light thanks Peter

February 2, 2013 at 8:41 pm
(46) MONEY says:

Its about tax $$$$$.

February 15, 2013 at 8:07 pm
(47) Lin says:

HEY ZAIN – I would dearly love to know how you make your own, I have smoked for many years and still do. I don’t want to, but I can’t quit. Even though I can’t afford it. So I agree with everyone else. It’s typical government B.S. and will eventually be legal as soon as they can get control and replace the money they would otherwise make on real cigarettes. And the price will, of course, rise exhorbitantly.. And I would bet they’ll totally deny they ever banned it and spend millions advertising it as some ‘new type’ of product. I recently talked to someone from the company who manufacturs my brand of cigarettes and asked why they had to include all those terrible ingredients? Why not just make plain cigarettes and sell more? He replied that they were working on this and it should be available in about a year. (from Jan. 2013) So there definitely is something happening. He mentioned that they want to produce safer cigarettes but they need the government to condone it and help them which, of course, is their biggest hurdle. When I first had kids and was still naive I wondered how I was supposed to raise my children to be honest, law abiding, good people when, in fact, the government is out to get you whatever way they can financially. I eventually got my answer … tell them the truth. NEVER trust the government.

February 19, 2013 at 4:37 pm
(48) pat says:

seven days ago my brother and I were smokers.I smoked a pack and a half for thirty years.I had totaly givin up on quitting and had nothing to look forward to but a long,slow,and very painfull death.Cancer runs in my family.Six days ago we receaved our p.v.’s.(electric cigarettes w/nicotine).Since the first puff,niether of us has touched or wanted a regular smoke.I feel as though I’ve been given a new lease on life .Food is starting to taste better,my feet are no longer freezing,and my cough is all but gone.For the first time in my life I am a criminal.You see,I’m a canadian living on canadian soil.I don’t know if my mother would be proud of me or not.I lost her long ago due to smoking.Thanks to e-cigs,I may live long enough to see this change.Thanks for reading.

February 19, 2013 at 10:13 pm
(49) nate n says:

I have to say the ban of ecigs or ecig products is absolutely a dumb idea! Im new to ecigs having been a pack+ a day smoker for 17 years. tomorrow is one month cigarette free! I feel great! I dont smell anymore or wake up coughing in the morning. my doctor even notices a huge difference in my respiratory health! If they ban ecigs for any reason i will not give in to these big tobacco companies and start using there products again, ever!

February 20, 2013 at 12:34 am
(50) Thomas says:

For starters there is NO REAL law prohibiting the selling Nicotine E Cigarettes in Canada. That’s just the federal government flexing it’s muscles through scre tactics. It’s stupid to BAN the selling of E Cigarettes with Nicotine in Canada BUT YET allowing the selling of NICOTINE GUM, NICOTINE SPRAY, NICOTINE LOSENGES, NICOTINE INHALERS, NICOTINE PATCHES – along with CHEWING TOBACCO, SNUS, SNUFF and TOBACCO CIGARETTES – tobacco especially available to us in ARMS REACH. Check the ECTA (Electronic Cigarette Trade Association) for details as to thr rights of E Smokers. Further more, in order to allow Nicotine E Cigs to be available in Canada (even though the Canadian government allows ALL other NICOTINE products to be sold in Canada) the product needs to be regulated and sold BEHIND the counter like the tobacco products – tobacco products which are 1 million times more hazardous than E Cigs with Nicotine. I checked the reasons for Cabada to ban E Cigs with Nicotine and they were as stupid as they were ignorant. We are adults here WITH RIGHTS. This is NOT a 5 year old birthday party. I emailed the prime minister about this but was cebsored and detoured to the Health Minister instead. I told the censor to resend my email BACK to the Prime Minister. Americans have more freedom than Canadians. America is the land of the free, while Canada is the land of the LIMITED.. Oh, did I also mention DOUBLE STANDARDS too? The Canadian government needs to grow up and stop thinking about the amount of money they generate annually from tobacco sales and start practicing what they preach with Nicotine E Cigs which are 1 billion times less harmful than tobacco. I know. I used to smoke for 26 years. As for anti smoking groups, they can go jump in the lake when it comes to E Cigs. Leave E smokers alone.. Go after the tobacco companies.. Stick to what you know..

February 23, 2013 at 9:18 pm
(51) Simul says:

This e-cig brand possesses an exclusive atomizer called VaporMax that is built inside the cartridges. This was done keeping in mind that when a user will inhale large amount of vapor he or she will experience a smooth flow of vapor.

February 28, 2013 at 4:46 pm
(52) Lilkurty says:

Let me assure you Deborah that your questions of Health Canada regarding their position on E cigarettes ( namely the nicotine commonly found virtually everywhere in pharmaceutical NRT , sometimes in higher concentrations than can be found in any vapers PV ) are as valid today and then some. Here is my story:

March 1, 2013 at 4:03 am
(53) Karyyl Keystone says:

Health Canada has made the mistake of thinking the FDA is still a science-based organization.

They may have a few scientific departments left but their commitment to science has been severely compromised by their own weird actions in relation to e-cigs. Their own press releases do not agree with their own published lab results. They have implied that smoking is as harmless as e-cigs. They have stated that Chantix is worth the risk to stop smoking, but e-cigs are not. They are ignoring existing studies on the matter.

Bottom line: our congress has passed a law in the U.S. giving the FDA the right to collect massive fees from e-cig manufacturer if the FDA decides it wants the money and jobs — the FDA would have to be either stupid or have integrity to pass up such an opportunity…and they are neither.

March 1, 2013 at 6:11 pm
(54) Dave B says:

“The advertisement, import and sales of e-cigarettes containing nicotine were banned in Canada in March of 2009.”

just to point out there is no ban..it’s an advisory..Health Canada likes to say it’s a ban and it’s illegal etc, but HC cannot make laws and it’s powers are only advisory..as it stands now there is no ban in Canada..

March 3, 2013 at 4:06 pm
(55) Thomas says:

Agreed, Dave. There is no BAN on E Cigarettes with Nicotine. Just an ADVISORY. And Health Canada’s reason for “banning” E Cigs with Nicotine such as “Risk of nicotine poisoning” is a stupid and unfounded reason of any. There has NOT been ANY cases of nicotine poisoning ever recorded or even KNOWN in North America. There’s no law against E Cigarettes with Nicotine either, by Health Canada. NO LAW. They’re just being Health Nazis over all of this because the tobacco companies are losing their customers to E Cigs and they’re ticked about it. So maybe some of the tobacco lawyers or spokesmen did some quiet wheeling and dealing with the Feds behind closed doors. Why? Think about it. Tobacco generates massive revenue to the Feds. So Health Canada is thinking and talking out of their rear ends on this issue. They’re making Canada a laughing stock. They ban E Cigs that contain, yet they allow Nicotine Gum, Nicotine Lozenges, Nicotine Patches, Nicotine Sprays, NICOTINE INHALERS. Oh yeah. Before I forget. Did I also mention TOBACCO PRODUCTS WITH NICOTINE TOO? I smell a major double standard. In a sense Health Canada wants smokers to stick with tobacco.

March 15, 2013 at 8:02 pm
(56) Brian says:

6 weeks non-smoking using my e-cig. Since when did we, the people, in the US lose control of electing people that truly represent us instead of their own interests? That may sound naive, but people need to find out what politicians are pushing these agendas and get the information out on social forums so that we can get them out of control. Thank God for judges.

March 20, 2013 at 5:51 pm
(57) anonymous says:

This is the real deal from a real person who smoked both regular cigs and e-cigs. After hacking up a bunch of black shit from regular cigs I decided to try e-cigs.
Of course looking for the most affordable alternative I decided to fill my own carts with e-liquid. Really bad Idea!!
One day just a tiny bit when down the center tube and when I hit it some went into my mouth. No big deal right? Wrong! I continued to smoke for a few and realized by the smell I also got just a tiny bit on my fingers.
Then I got really tired-fast! Then I started feeling very flue like Xs 100. My heart started beating funny and my skin got flush and kinda prickly.
Guess what? I was almost dieing from nicotine poisoning.
I still use e-cigs but only use low dose prefilled carts bought by a reputable company and threw away all the e-liquid and empty carts I had.
Bottom line is it needs to be regulated where you can only buy prefilled tamper resistant carts to stay safe. I know the e-cig community isn’t happy with me right now but someday someone will die from the E-liquid thinking just a little won’t do anything.
Before someone says “what a dumb ass” I used rubber gloves and a syringe to fill them and was trying not to get any in the center tube but shit happins! I even let it fizzle away for a few before I puffed but shit happins! I’d rather pay a few bucks more and stay safe than die by accident.

March 20, 2013 at 10:42 pm
(58) Talyon says:

Its my understanding, that ecigs are not banned in Canada but its suggested no one buy them, and that Nicotine is banned from being imported only, please check your facts.

March 23, 2013 at 3:13 pm
(59) copd says:

From what I understand, E-cigs that don’t contain nicotine are still available for purchase in Canada, however, the sale, and import, of e-cigs containing nicotine is banned, not allowed, strongly discouraged, etc. Check the Canadian government website, Health Canada to read more about it. Just because they are banned however, doesn’t mean that there are not vendors out there who still sell them in defiance of the ban.

April 10, 2013 at 4:28 am
(60) Nobe says:

Well, the same thing in Japan, too. People are buying liquid and cartridges containing nicotine abroad.
The reason is that Japanese government defines nicotine as TOXIC material and not tobacco.
Other facts : Nicotine is twice stronger than cyanide and not carcinogenic.
I would almost believe who says that smoking marijuana is safer, if tabacco were safer than e-cigarette.

April 29, 2013 at 5:47 pm
(61) Joe E-Smoke says:

E-cigs are not banned
they are available from some established outlets in Canada
the ones with nicotine are banned

May 24, 2013 at 1:26 am
(62) Melynda Duke says:

Hello
I am Melynda Duke From Uk
I do not understand why e cigarettes have been banned, I think e cigarettes are the best alternative to quit smoking.An electronic cigarette which fulfill all the requirement of a smoker, when a person lights a cigarette and gets a puff he or she inhales a smoke which contain tobacco as well as nicotine .
Thanks.

June 8, 2013 at 3:39 pm
(63) radovan skriba says:

On long term nobody knows what e cigarettes can cause to human health and to say why canadian gov banned them you should read their report about this issue before any comments on anybodies decisions is made.if you want be fair and trustable than would be nice of you put rights with rights and leave your imagination out of it.From my point of view it is a good step to restrict something what is not really tested we learned in past that for example heroin was used in hospitales like medicine and it does turned out really bad and othert point could be that behind tobacco patches and e cigarettes could be more likely same people which are producing ordinary cigarettes who else would have time and resources to come up with e cigarettes maybe during their lab test with normal cigarettes they come up with these new ways of consuming tobacco.Thanks for reading.

June 17, 2013 at 9:55 am
(64) Mr Mike says:

This is sick. Basically the government are forcing smokers to have no alternative to real cigarettes (ie: electronic cigarettes), because of money.

They are committing genocide for cash. The politicians behind this should be locked up, it’s criminal.

June 24, 2013 at 5:15 pm
(65) Mark says:

just so everyone knows there is no ban in canada on e cigs health canada is trying to pressure the online vendors to stop selling to canada but currently they have not accualy put a ban on them

August 6, 2013 at 7:13 pm
(66) bill says:

hi i really dont understand the ban like you said tax dollars its what its all about they dont care if people die it strains our heath care with everyone getting cancer why not ban taboco really

August 7, 2013 at 6:26 pm
(67) christina says:

I quit smoking using e cigs on oct 4 2011 since then the tobacco company has lost thousands of dollars just off me alone let alone every one I have convinced to try e cigs and by the time I am in my 60′s it will be hundred thousand or more lost that’s a lot of money the big company’s and government losses because I quit smoking that’s a big incentive to ban e cigs don’t you think. if the pharmaceuticals would pick up and start selling e cigs and nicotine they could make back a ton of money id buy it from them because than the e liquid would be regulated and safer. but I will take my chances with e cigs over real cigarettes any day

September 12, 2013 at 11:03 am
(68) Samantha F. Hughes says:

What’s wrong with these people? We understand that e-cigar help people to <a href=”http://www.quitstopsmoking.net”>stop smokingt</a> but not banning the real cigar is not fair..

October 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm
(69) Dan says:

E-cigarettes are powered by a tiny battery that automatically activates when you suck on the end of the e cigarette and heats up the element which vaporises the liquid containing the nicotine and flavour and you inhale – simple. So the ‘smoke’ that you breathe in and blow out is actually just flavoured water vapour. It feels like smoking, but without the smell, tobacco or tar.