1. Health

Medical Marijuana and COPD

By September 1, 2011

Although the jury is still out as to whether or not smoking marijuana alone causes COPD, Steve Casebeer, founder of GodMed, a company that produces medical marijuana capsules, believes that taking the drug in pill form may be the cure for what ails you.

Because smoking marijuana may cause or worsen respiratory problems, Casebeer claims that marijuana in pill form is an excellent alternative for those living with lung cancer or COPD. To date, however, there are very few studies related to lung cancer, COPD and medical marijuana.

The use of marijuana as medicine dates back thousands of years. It has only been within the last two decades, however, that medical marijuana has become legal in some states with a prescription from a doctor.

The FDA has approved one form of medical marijuana (Marinol) for weight loss associated with HIV/Aids, and as an anti-emetic for people undergoing chemotherapy who don't respond to traditional anti-nausea medications.

The medical marijuana sold by GodMed is not FDA approved, but is said to be pure and organic with the capability of treating a myriad of illnesses. Their motta (and appropriately so,) is together, we can light up the world!

What do you think of medical marijuana for COPD or lung cancer? Would you ever buy medical marijuana capsules online? Or, if you were going to use medical marijuana, would you prefer to get a prescription from your doctor? Please share your comments.

Read more about marijuana and COPD:

[Social Submit this]

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook

Comments
September 1, 2011 at 9:08 pm
(1) davidgarmon says:

Hey Deb,
I smoked it for a long time,No it did no good to my copd and very glad to have it in my past.

September 2, 2011 at 8:02 am
(2) ConcernedForUsAll says:

I don’t know if it helps treat symptoms of COPD or not, but….

If you grind a certain amount of cannabis into dust and cook it into food you wont be inhaling anything harmful and you will absolutely get you’re medicine.

Marinol is approx. $20.00-@25.00 PER PILL. If I can get a prescription from my Dr. and get it filled at Walgreens AND it is affordable ($1-$2 per dose seems about right, since you can grow the stuff 15ft. tall and powered by the sun) then by all means proceed with production.

Most importantly perhaps, marinol is synthetic if I’m not mistaken. Anything encapsulated that can be produced using the natural plant should be used. Would be a tough sell to anyone concerned about ingesting harmful chemicals. Many patients are hyper-sensitve to the idea of creating something in a lab and then taking the pill. Hence the reason they chose natural relief.

September 2, 2011 at 9:01 am
(3) Carolina says:

If marijuana capsules could relieve the anxiety associated with COPD without depressing breathing, I’d use it daily.

September 2, 2011 at 12:52 pm
(4) laura from willis says:

Absolutely would NOT use Medical Marijuana. I am willing to suffer the consequences of my COPD. I have my prescriptions, issued by my Primary Care Physician. I don’t believe in it, BTW, for anything.
This is my opinion only. Thanks for allowing me to share it.

September 2, 2011 at 1:23 pm
(5) Tim says:

I would wear out my Led Zepplin CD’s.

September 3, 2011 at 8:00 pm
(6) jimvel says:

If it was approved as a legal drug by the FDA and it helped slow the progress or reduce the symptoms of copd I would consider it.

September 5, 2011 at 1:18 pm
(7) Mike Dovan says:
September 5, 2011 at 1:20 pm
(8) Mike Dovan says:

I use a vaporizer that way I don’t have to inhale anything harmful.

September 11, 2011 at 1:23 am
(9) mary says:

A water bong is also a useable alternative if you have copd because it vaporizes it.Just saying ;-)

September 18, 2011 at 11:25 am
(10) Marijuana cures cancer says:

Marijuana cures many cancers and diseases.
It is proven.
The more you smoke the less likely you are to get lung, sinus, neck or head cancer.
Please research it and you will see this is true.
Another coverup of a cheap cancer cure because big pharma can’t profit.

September 26, 2011 at 10:39 pm
(11) Heather says:

My friend smoked it for at least 25 years and died of throat cancer so I’m not convinced if its smoken in joint form or pipe form , anything that burns the throat and chest is bad for the body period. If its inhaled in a cool smoke way It is better. I have copd and smoked for many years marijauna .. so In my opnion if its hot its bad

September 26, 2011 at 10:51 pm
(12) Heather says:

Also I keep hearing the prescription drugs are the bad guys , to me these people are ignorant and being led the wrong way. If it wasnt for alot of these meds alot of us would be suffering and even dead . True marijauna helps some people but not everyone. It’s not a propaganda and Doctor’s dont just prescribe drugs for fun there is a reason these medicines are made. They are something I am very thankful for and marijauna just simply doesnt work for everything or everyone once again . some people cant even handle cold smoke I suffered for years until I gave in and glad I did . Marijauna by the way is mostly a sedative very little analgesic , I can not function loaded off my hinnie all day and night even if eaten makes me just looped and I need to workWhere as I can take my pain relievers and inhaler sleep just fine and be awake during the day without the energy drain from the pain . I have researched and tried many times. Most of it is loaded with pollen too which is dreadful for most copd patients . It would be nice if some people understood that they both are improtant because some help some . We arnt all running around blind If all there was is marijauna it would be very sad sad life

December 13, 2011 at 4:47 pm
(13) Adrian says:

The jury is not out on whether marijuana use aggravates or causes COPD. There are now a number of studies indicating that medicinal marijuana, used properly, alleviates the symptoms of emphysema, chronic bronchitis, and asthma. The secret is in using a vaporizer to extract the cannaboids while excluding the dangerous chemicals. I wouldn’t recommend anyone smoke cannabis but vaping is a different story.

March 21, 2012 at 12:11 am
(14) Mark says:

I’ve been using marijuana every since my mother was brutally murdered 12 years ago, it sincerely helps with the anxieties. I do however have COPD and emphysema from smoking cigs for years. I quit the cigs 11 years ago and wished I had never taken them up, I would have been much better off smoking weed. I do use a vaporizer and I’m a light user and like to think that it’s not doing much harm to make matters worse, but honestly I really don’t know, I just know it helps me deal with losing my mother in such a violent way. I would use the weed in pill form if I could get it though and totally eliminate having to vape.

October 25, 2012 at 9:05 am
(15) WA Marijuana Expert says:

For COPD Patients Marijuana can be taken in food form and is available at various dispensaries within Medical Marijuana States, Online, and even on Craigslist. No one has mentioned that yet.

Another question: Does 2nd hand Marijuana smoke have a negative effect with individuals suffering from COPD?

November 21, 2012 at 2:22 am
(16) COPDSufferNow says:

I read on the Web somewhere that thc when inhaled is the opposite of a constrictor where as nicotine IS a constrictor. and being a copd sufferer for years now and a pot connoisseur I can agree and by test performed on my self have seen that this is true. The issue tho is all the other crap you get when smoking it and notice NOONE says anything about the butane gas residue? honestly i am more worried about the left over unburnt butane gas and the residue from used butane gas. IF i was to continue using pot to help aleave my COPD then I would go with a vaporizer or in food. Not sold yet on the pill tbh. Weird tho in a way in order for thc to constrict your airways (I believe it makes the muscles relax) you need to inhale it so defiantly the vaporizer is the way to do that. Before you all go to your doc and say its ok to smoke pot with copd I strongly suggest doing alot more research on the web on it as i am way far from being a doctor or medical expert. I am just a person that is going to die very soon from COPD and speak from what I have gathered and experienced. Enjoy all .. Peace!

February 27, 2013 at 12:32 pm
(17) Booboo says:

I am a 38 year old female and have just been diagnosed with COPD. I smoked cigs for about 20 years. I also have Major Depression Disorder so its been very hard on me and my family dealing with this. I think it would be great to be able to get marijauna in pill form….it does wonders for my anxiety and lack of appetite but its just too hard on my lungs now to keep smoking if.

June 6, 2013 at 12:23 pm
(18) Luis says:

Search on both Simpson Oil and on consuming raw green cannabis foliage.

Not recommending, just for informational purposes given the comments in this forum. There’s certainly other ways than inhaling.

And check to see where your state stands on medical cannabis use and possession.

December 16, 2013 at 10:40 am
(19) G.M.W.Faervian says:

I’m not sure, I haven’t been to a doctor in years. I’m 23 years old and a habitual cigarette smoker (terrible habit I know). I don’t have a diagnosis of C.O.P.D. but I believe I may have it based on my extreme loss of appetite, shortness of breath, coughing up tar like phlegm (especially in cold weather and in the morning right after waking up), and a pretty sever cough which usually results in the drawing fourth of the phlegm from my lungs (I can tell the difference between nose phlegm and lung phlegm because they feel different when “coughed up”).

I was hoping to be eligible for Michigan Medical Marihuana Program, but I don’t want to smoke marihuana or get really “high” (as it is often referred to), with a family history of C.O.P.D, heart failure, and cancer; I want to be legal with the treatment and medication I use if I do have developing C.O.P.D. however I also do not want to take any steroids, or other non natural treatments

(I don’t go to doctors I go to a Midewewin; A.K.A. a medicine man, from my tribe)

now then, to answer your question. I would rather go to a doctor or buy a pill off the internet. I would also rather have the natural chemicals of the plant without the smoke. so I guess if I was diagnosed i would probably resort to the pills if they are legal to use under MMMP laws.

(I hate taking pills they make me feel very sick and pukey)

i have a question for the writer and commenters though, should i go to the doctor for these symptoms? black/brown plegm, short breath, no appetite, and pretty severe coughing fits?

March 25, 2014 at 7:15 am
(20) Ziggy says:

Numerous studies conducted in the 1970s found that THC could act as an effective bronchodilator countering airway constriction, the primary symptom of asthma in both healthy and asthmatic individuals.

In fact, a study published in 1977 found that THC was a stronger bronchodilator than isoproterenol, which was a common treatment for asthma at the time.

Early studies also found smoked marijuana to be effective at reversing the bronchoconstriction induced by allergic reactions or exercise in patients with asthma. Interestingly, THC seemed to elicit similar effects on the airway regardless of the route of administration.

Also, A study published in 2008 found that administration of the synthetic cannabinoid CP55 a compound that activates both CB1 and CB2 receptors was able to counteract an allergic asthma-like response in guinea pigs. Cannabinoid treatment not only reduced coughing and shortness of breath, but also reduced levels of inflammatory molecules, confirming the well-known anti-inflammatory properties of medical marijuana.

-Z

March 25, 2014 at 7:15 am
(21) Ziggy says:

Similarly, a study published in 2003 found that administration of THC or cannabinol (CBN) were both able to reduce the presence of inflammatory molecules as well as mucus overproduction in rat models of asthma.

As for the C.O.P.D. There are no studies that shows marijuana directly is the cause for C.O.P.D., but actually scientists are seeing the opposite. We need to do more studies and they will come soon do to the increase in marijuana legalization and grants for studies increase. But as i see it most of these studies were done in the early-mid 70′s if we were allowed to keep studying we would know by now, and in my opinion COPD would be far less common and for the record pharmaceutical drugs will be as well.
cont.
Hope this help, most studies done are on the internet for your free viewing. For the people whose friends that did develop C.O.P.D there are lots of factors that could contribute to that as well, these are controlled studies where as what my have been in the air or many other environmental factors coul’ve contributed to your friend

Anyway Give yourself every opportunity to get better, no matter what the law says about marijuana i mean is it really worth suffering over just to prove a point that may not matter in 5 years?
-Z

April 11, 2014 at 9:37 am
(22) teagal says:

By all means YES!! God put the herb on this earth and if it’s made into an oil or capsule etc. I would try it.
As a matter of fact, I was searching for it when I found this page.
I’ve been reading where it has helped a lot of people to be able to get back out and walk again without oxygen.
I aim to be on that list one day.

April 12, 2014 at 12:22 am
(23) Jubal Foster says:

I’ve been vaping and I have never breathed better. It may not help all but alot it does. If people would get over “Reefer Madness”and all the govt propaganda, we would be better off