1. Health

CPAP: The Importance of Using Your Machine Consistently

By August 28, 2011

Many people with COPD also have obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) for which they use a CPAP machine during the night. CPAP helps patients remain oxygenated by continuously pushing air into the lungs. CPAP uses positive pressure to keep the airways open.

A new study shows that unless you use your machine consistently, you are at a higher risk for a rapid return of your OSA and sleepiness within several days, as well as significant increases in heart rate and blood pressure, and a decrease in vascular function within 14 days. The results conclude that even a short break in CPAP has negative consequences on the cardiovascular system.  This means that you must use your machine consistently, even when you are away from home on holiday.

For more information, read:

COPD and Sleep Apnea

What is CPAP?

CPAP versus BiPAP

[Social Submit this]

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook

Source:

Kohler M, et al "The effects of CPAP therapy withdrawal in patients with obstructive sleep apnea: A randomized controlled trial" Am J Respir Crit Care Med 2011; epub.

Comments
August 28, 2011 at 1:46 pm
(1) snoozie says:

Dont use it myself but i expect i will sometime as i have slight sllep apnea at the moment,but it sounds from what i am reading that you MUST keep using it or you will slip back healthwise

August 28, 2011 at 7:30 pm
(2) copd says:

Yep, Angie, you are so right!

September 1, 2011 at 12:57 pm
(3) Liz985 says:

What’s the name of the study that was cited? I’d like to look it up in PubMed.

September 1, 2011 at 1:44 pm
(4) copd says:

Sorry, I have posted the source above. Thanks for reminding me to do so!

September 2, 2011 at 11:23 am
(5) raveda says:

I use a CPAP machine at night.
I was told that if I want to add Oxygen I need an Oxygen Concentrator with continuos flow.
Life Choice has only pulse settings. What will happened if I connect my Life Choice to my CPAP during sleep?

September 3, 2011 at 1:23 pm
(6) Shirley says:

I use my CPAP every night and also have oxygen going through it too. Can’t believe the difference it makes. Best nights sleep in a long time.

September 14, 2011 at 12:36 am
(7) Bobbie says:

I cannot use my CPAP machine every night because it makes the bridge of my nose red and sore. So, I use the machine for several nights, and then, when my nose is so sore that it doesn’t go away by bedtime, I stop the CPAP that night and resume it the next. Is there any danger in doing this? Also, although I have tried the commercial gel pieces to place on my nose under the mask, it doesn’t help. I do use felt and that is better, as before my nose would get even redder and more sore, and I could only use the CPAP every other night. Since I use a full face mask, I cannot find any other solution.

January 5, 2012 at 2:29 pm
(8) Jim says:

Bobbi, you should look for another mask that won’t put pressure on the bridge of your nose. I had a full mouth mask that did that and it did hurt like hell. Maybe one that uses “nasal pillows” would help you. Just a thought.