1. Health

Deborah Leader, RN

Laughing Bad for the Lungs?

By August 5, 2011

It has been said that laughter is the best medicine, however, current research may beg to differ for people with COPD. A new, U.S. study suggests that while laughter may have many health benefits, people with COPD who laugh too much are at risk for reduced lung function.

Study results revealed that people with COPD who had a great sense of humor and laughed a lot:

• Were less likely to suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety.
  • Had fewer respiratory illnesses in the month before the study.
  • Had lower lung function after watching a 30-minute comedy video and laughing a lot than those who watched a video about home repair and did not laugh.

The study concludes that while laughter may have its benefits, the behaviors associated with it  may not be good for people all the time.

That said, I am dying to know what you think about this. My personal opinion: If I had to go a day without laughter, I think I would rather jump off a bridge. What do you think?

[Social Submit this]

Follow me on Twitter or Facebook

Comments
August 6, 2011 at 2:41 am
(1) kookykathy says:

I think the results of this study is a crock of sh*t! It makes no sense. These two reasons: (1) Were less likely to suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety, and (2) Had fewer respiratory illnesses in the month before the study, are the very things that will keep some COPDers alive! Reason: (3) Had lower lung function after watching a 30-minute comedy video and laughing a lot, could apply to anyone who laughs! I can remember laughing so hard, I cried . . . or peed myself . . . when I was younger. I laugh all the time! If I couldn’t . . . I don’t think I would be alive today!

August 6, 2011 at 8:23 am
(2) snoozie1 says:

I cant think of a better way to die hahaha in actual fact i think i breath more oxygen in when laughing because i snort like a pig then end up with tears rolling down my face-taking in deaper breaths before i start laughibg again which gets rid of my carbondioxide

August 6, 2011 at 11:48 am
(3) copd says:

OMG, Angie, you crack me up. Kathy, I couldn’t agree with you more.

August 7, 2011 at 6:22 pm
(4) jimvel says:

I can believe the results if they were testing some of the people I know who have deep belly laughs and laugh until they are out of breath and teary eyed. Maybe they should test us running the 100 meter dash and see if were out of breath, or we can just laugh them out of the business, they probably had a government grant to do the study.

August 18, 2011 at 1:33 pm
(5) copder66 says:

what a load of cobblers( in other words Bulls**t)

August 18, 2011 at 2:25 pm
(6) Toria says:

When I laugh to hard I have coughing spells. And that takes my breath away. But I have to laugh anyway.. I love to laugh with others. I tell who I am with that is making me laugh to give me a few minutes and I will be ok. lol.

January 20, 2014 at 1:05 am
(7) Babs says:

Wouldn’t laughing help increase lung function instead of decreasing it? I mean, doesn’t laughing work out the lungs? Whats the difference between laughing and exercise, I don’t get it?