1. Health

Can't Afford Your Advair?

By May 7, 2009

In today's economy with people losing their jobs, along with their health insurance, the question about where to find affordable medications is on the tongues of many with COPD. I found an interesting article on the Respiratory Therapy Blog that I sometimes visit to find useful information to share with you. The following advice is from Joy Buchanan, producer at MyAsthmaCentral.com, who offers some great tips on what to do if you can't afford Advair. Here's what she says:

"Our expert, Dr. James Thompson, has written a post about saving money on managing your condition here. Also, you should contact Advair's manufacturer, GlaxoSmithKline at 1-866-518-4357. Companies have programs to provide their brand name drugs to patients for cheap (or, sometimes, free) if they meet the income qualifications. GlaxoSmithKline's program for Advair is called GSKAccess.

If you think about it, the information Joy provides should apply to many unaffordable, COPD medications. In fact, Trisha Torrey, About.com's Patient Empowerment Guide, has written a fabulous article about just that. For more information, visit Trisha's article:

Prescription Assistance Programs

=======================
Stay up to date: subscribe to
the COPD newsletter and join the
discussion in the COPD forum.
=======================

Comments
May 8, 2009 at 1:38 am
(1) Susannah Hunt says:

Gosh, this really is worrying. I know we in the UK are currently making a tremendous fuss over having to pay prescriptions costs for a chronic life threatening disease, such as severe asthma is, but the mere fact that in the US you have to fund your own scripts, and something as powerful, necessary and darn expensive as Advair is a must for severe lungers just makes me feel guilty for having it so readily available and for merely a few dollars in comparison.

((I am on Advair 500, 2 puffs, BID, and so that’s 2 Diskus’s a month, 24 a year-gee I am glad I do not have to pay for mine))

May 9, 2009 at 10:40 am
(2) copd says:

There is no doubt about it, the US health care system is out of whack! And, we are supposed to be richest nation? I know where our tax dollars are going; right into the pockets of politicians, CEOs, and other well-off people. Certainly not into our health care system. Thanks for your comment and I am sure we are all envious of both yours, and the Canadian, health care system.

August 17, 2009 at 9:58 am
(3) kathy says:

My little girl NEEDS ADVAIR, it’s worked so wonderful for her and she was sick all the time. SO, my insurance excludes any lung medication as her asthma was a preexisting condition (aren’t they sweet)

SO, I have to pay 220.00 + a month for advair alone, and other 44.00 for the inhaler…I have to get a second job, that is like a darn car payment and I’ll sell my soul before I let my daughter not get something she needs, the only thing to help her little body….I hate America’s health care system, money grubbing leaches…

December 5, 2010 at 12:23 pm
(4) Eileen says:

I take Advair for asthma and have a really poor prescription plan my cost for a 3 mo supply is $443. On top of this I take another drug for ulcerative colitis that will be costing me $300 for a month. I can see my future includes bankruptsy & living under a bridge because I can’t have my medication and a place to live also. I am praying I can get some help from one of these plans.

December 12, 2010 at 3:49 pm
(5) Jack says:

@kathy…please contact me XJS750 hotmail. The “at” and “dot com” are omitted to reduce spam.

January 14, 2011 at 2:04 pm
(6) jim says:

I have an Advair diskus purchase last month with 43 puffs remaining…Anyone interested? contact me directly: jimaleg at aol dot com.

November 17, 2011 at 11:49 am
(7) Jeanie says:

Go to the canadian pharmacies, like Northwest Pharmacy….much, much cheaper (70 compared to 220 for advair, even less for generic. They are a lifesaver!

December 7, 2011 at 7:07 pm
(8) Mary Wallis says:

I am 76 years old and need halp paying for my
advair 250/50 diskus. Could you tell me who I should talk to about getting help. Thanks Mary

December 8, 2011 at 10:26 pm
(9) deborah says:

Mary, that is what the above blog post is all about. Please re-read it. It gives you the phone number to call.

January 30, 2012 at 12:12 pm
(10) mildred orrison says:

I have COPD and pay $250 for a 3 month supply. It used to be around $79.00 and the insurance company decided that our plan didn’t comply with their rules. I also use Spiriva and that is the same as Advair. I wish something could be done about these ridiculous charges, especially for something that is vital to use.

May 2, 2012 at 10:20 pm
(11) Tammy says:

I have COPD and Thyroid Disease and for my Meds i have Insurance ..but that doesnt cover all of it…I have to pay monthly about $300 a month for Spiriva, Advair, Synthroid, Pro Air inhaler…and havent been able to pay for them for over 2 months now…just using myinhaler more now then i was..so will need a new one of those soon now too.

October 16, 2012 at 3:25 pm
(12) elaine says:

If anyone is interested, I have 2 Spiriva Handihalers with 10 capsules each I don’t need. I’d be happy to talk to anyone who is having trouble paying for their med. Also have excellent source for Symbicort generic that costs about 1/3 less. Just sent me an email to topdawg2@rocketmail.com

October 31, 2012 at 12:30 pm
(13) Hoyt Elrod says:

I have COPD, am 80+ years old, living on SS and understand the frustration exhibited above but let’s not loose sight of the bigger picture of healthcare. Some parts of the medical plans in Canada & England are marginally better than in the US but they have searious problems as well. Long waits & dissallowances for many treatments are prevalent. Remember it wasn’t that long ago that the US had no Prescription coverage in Medicare. We can’t Bankrupt the country & without Jobs & economic growth we can’t afford many of the social services we have now. Ask the English how their doing with life in general.

November 17, 2012 at 1:09 am
(14) Margaret Anderson says:

I just met a woman who went blind two years ago. She thinks it is directly realated to her use of Advair for her asthma. She developed cataracts in both eyes. She is hopeful that with cataract surgery, her eye sight will be restored. Has anyone else heard, or know of, any such cases?

June 10, 2013 at 12:24 am
(15) Mike says:

I need Advair500. Please help. Noonz1213@gmail.com

July 31, 2013 at 4:13 pm
(16) Evie says:

“Companies have programs to provide their brand name drugs to patients for cheap (or, sometimes, free) if they meet the income qualifications.” Um, Just because someone income seems to be higher than what the qualification is, doesn’t mean they can afford it. Come on, has anyone heard of bills – reent, car payments, car insurance, gas for the car, utilitie bills, food. It’s really not fair. If I COULD afford it every month, I wouldnt be asking for help.

July 31, 2013 at 9:06 pm
(17) Melanie says:

My co-pay for one month of 500/50 is over three hundred dollars. My doctor was nice enough to give me a couple of sample boxes but I don’t know I’m going to do with harvest and forest fire season coming. I used my free month from the company a while ago.

September 6, 2013 at 10:25 pm
(18) Mel says:

I have 6 brand new boxes of advair that I no longer use but keep sending them to me. The pharmacy won’t take them back, so if anyone needs them contact me at armymedic2320@hotmail.com and we can discuss this further.

September 19, 2013 at 11:50 am
(19) Jimmy Smith says:

How can you put people on TV that dom”t have COPD or even how it affects you.Make no sense to me as I have COPD!

September 28, 2013 at 9:57 am
(20) Wolfe says:

I am watching a slow death. Unable to pay for Advair, the hospital visits are adding up like crazy! It would cost less to be able to get the medication that the high costs of each hospital stay. Need help.

October 9, 2013 at 7:50 pm
(21) ray says:

ii would like to know how obamacare is helping us with this dilemma ?

October 9, 2013 at 8:49 pm
(22) Mel says:

I wanted to inform everyone that I no longer have the advair available that I had posted in September. Sorry, but I’ll keep posted if I know of anyone trying to get rid of theirs also.

October 9, 2013 at 9:22 pm
(23) Mel says:

Hey all I just wanted to let everyone know that May inquire, I do not any more advair, but will keep an ear out. I had posted earlier that I had 6 inhalers for advair in September.

November 7, 2013 at 1:56 pm
(24) Grigori Rho Gharveyn says:

Ugh…

We were barely scraping by paying a $40-something co-pay for our Advair. Then our copay was doubled twice in the past few months.

Now they want more than $160 copay for one Advair 500 inhaler.

We are on disability with Medicare but do not seem able to qualify for part D. We support two people on our disability with no other income.

We can no longer afford our Advair.

<b>HELP!!!</b>

If we were living homeless in San Francisco (across the bay from us) our Advair would be free, but we can barely walk due to chronic pain.

We have no idea how we would manage on the streets today.

Only 55 years old now, but:

1 Heart attack, + 1 stroke, + additional miscellaneous blood clots
10 years with high blood pressure
13 years with diabetes
14 years with a deadly immune system disease that makes blood clot
25 years with a chronic sinus infection (2 surgeries haven’t helped)
32 years of chronic, disabling pain (no pain killers help)
50 years of Asthma (can’t carry a nebulizer in our pocket)
A lifetime of long episodes of chronic suicidal depression and various other mental disorders.

Well over a dozen meds, pills, puffs and sprays all day long…

Car has been broken down in the driveway for 3 years, can’t afford registration, insurance, gas, or the $7 part to fix it.

Don’t think we can return to living on the streets. Tried it when we got divorced, but wound up living in our office, courtesy of IBM. Too bad we couldn’t keep our IT job with them due to injuries and illness.

The streets were ok when we were younger, but with those new no sit / no lay laws we do not think we would last long on the streets if we are driven out of our home to pay our medical bills.
<i>
<MASH theme song plays softly…>

Enjoy!
</i>

January 16, 2014 at 2:54 pm
(25) Linda Lott says:

Great article but not really much help. I called the number in the article to see about getting perscription help. You must make LESS than $29,000.00 per year to qualify for any help through the program mentioned in this article. NO HELP AT ALL…..

March 23, 2014 at 6:22 pm