1. Health

Deborah Leader, RN

Top 5 Christmas Gift Ideas for Someone with COPD

By December 3, 2008

If you are wracking your brain to find a Christmas gift for someone you know and love who has COPD, search no longer! I have put together a list of the top 5 Christmas gift ideas for someone in your life who has COPD. Here they are:

• Finger Pulse Oximetry Monitor
  • --A must-have for people with COPD to make sure they are getting enough oxygen. Extremely beneficial to those who are on oxygen therapy.

• COPD for Dummies
  • --A great beginner's guide to COPD. Includes information on symptoms, diagnosis, causes, treatment, and how to cope with COPD.

• A Pocket Guide to Spirometry
  • --Handy and so small it fits in your pocket, this guide to spirometry tells you everything you ever wanted to know about spirometry testing and more.

• Breathwish: A Spiritual Guide to Smoking Cessation and Understanding COPD
  • --A wonderful, spiritual guide to give to someone who is having trouble quitting smoking and dealing with COPD.

• Omron Automatic Blood Pressure Monitor
  • --Because many patients who have COPD also suffer from a host of COPD complications, a blood pressure monitor is yet another must-have.

What about you? Do you have any Christmas gift ideas for someone who has COPD? Please share your ideas by leaving a comment.

Photo courtesy of Flickr.com

Comments
December 16, 2009 at 12:45 pm
(1) Lori Palermo says:

My dad passed away on Dec. 26, 2003 of COPD/Emphysema. As a daugher thinking back to the Christmas’s when my dad had COPD… I believe you meant well by your Christmas gift giving ideas for a COPD patient, but I know for a fact my dad would have never wanted a gift reminding him of his debilitating disease. Oxygen equipment, monitors, books on COPD can be purchased through the particular oxygen company throughtout the year.
At Christmas and actually all year long, a COPD patient is like anyone else… they would want imaginative, exciting gifts. I do believe useful gifts that may help make life easier, such as… button down shirts (not pullover), slippers or moccasins, velcro sneakers (no bending to tie), and i’m sure they’d love a gift of their favorite hobby.
Of course…to the COPD patient and family, the disease is always there in front of you; but I don’t think it needs to be emphasized by those “medical type” gifts at this blessed and joyful time of year.

Lori

December 17, 2009 at 9:13 am
(2) Sara says:

Your probably right although think of people who may not be able to afford those items. Pride will not allow them to receive a gift at another time of the year other than maybe their Birthday. Remember 2 sides to ever story.

December 17, 2009 at 9:14 am
(3) Vanessa says:

I think it all depends on the individual, their disposition and circumstances. I have copd and really had to scrimp and save to buy myself an oxymeter and also a flutter device. I would welcome any gift that would help my situation, medical or otherwise. Happy Xmas to all and may 2010 be kind to you and those you love.

December 21, 2010 at 8:21 pm
(4) Rachel says:

I searched for gifts for loved ones with COPD because there are so many things that you can’t buy-no restaurant gift cards or event tickets, because they have a hard time leaving the house, no bath items because they feel like they are suffocating in the hot shower or bath, they don’t need anything for the house (just more clutter), I just don’t know what to do….

December 21, 2010 at 8:37 pm
(5) copd says:

Rachel, I have done two gift lists since this blog post. Here is the latest:

I hope you get this.

December 26, 2010 at 8:50 pm
(6) Toria says:

I agree with Lori. I have COPD and the last thing I want is a reminder of this disease. I am sick but I still like a lot of the things as before COPD.. I like sweaters cause I am always cold. PJ’s are nice. But most of all I just want my family to spend time with me.

November 26, 2011 at 2:49 pm
(7) Joy says:

I like these ideas. I already got my mother-in-law a pulse oximeter. It was very appreciated and very helpful to her. I may not give these for Christmas.