1. Health

Daily exercise is an important part of a healthy lifestyle. But when you have COPD and are breathless to begin with, how do you muster up the energy to exercise? What kinds of exercises should you be doing that won't cause you to keel over right on the spot?

Starting your day with some simple stretching and breathing exercises, and following it with an energizing walk is a great way to give yourself a fresh outlook on life each morning. For one, you will have hopefully had a good night's sleep that has left you feeling well rested and ready to go. Exercising when you have the most energy is important for people with COPD, as lack of energy often accompanies the diagnosis.

Daily exercise has many benefits including helping you use oxygen more efficiently, controlling your weight and improving your mood, all of which are important if you have COPD. For more information on the benefits of exercise, visit About.com's Exercise Guide Site to see what a wonderful job Paige Waehner has done with her site.

If traditional forms of exercise just don't seem to work for you, Margaurite, About.com's Pilates Guide suggests that people with COPD may benefit from Pilates. Here are a couple of great links to her site:

Pilates for Beginners

Pilates Fundamental Exercises

What role do diet and exercise play in your life? Do you have a favorite exercise that you enjoy that you would like to share with others? Come inside, enjoy the fun and share in the conversation about your favorite diet and exercise tips in the COPD forum today.

Comments
August 7, 2008 at 10:42 am
(1) Angela says:

I have asthma and I stay really active. I love cycling and taking spinning classes but I find that it’s the activity that aggravates my asthma the most. Swimming and weight lifting aggravate it the least and provide cardiovascular health and help keep my bones strong.

August 7, 2008 at 10:55 am
(2) Lynne says:

It looks like walking is thus far winning the race as the preferred exercise in your poll. One way to make this fun is to use a pedometer. My kids and I all have pedometers, and it is fun to “compare” miles walked.

August 7, 2008 at 10:58 am
(3) D says:

Swimming is the only exercise I find truly enjoyable. I would do it purely for fun, even if it weren’t good for me!

August 7, 2008 at 11:06 am
(4) Tim says:

Living in a city that’s so heavily car-centric, I find walking not just good exercise but a good stress-reliever. Plus, it’s funny how some of my best ideas come when I’m out walking around.

August 7, 2008 at 11:10 am
(5) Deb says:

I try to walk 3 miles every day, but sometimes the weather isn’t conducive. Right now it’s so hot I have to go at dawn. It’s meditation in motion for me.

Yoga is my next favorite. It puts everything where it belongs on my body! lol.

I also love to swim but don’t have a pool nearby anymore. So easy on the joints.

August 7, 2008 at 11:48 am
(6) copd says:

Angela, Lynne, D, Tim and Deb, thanks for voting and leaving a comment. Your participation is greatly appreciated and thus reciprocated, I might add.

August 7, 2008 at 12:28 pm
(7) Marcia says:

Tim, the phrase “solvitur ambulando” (hope I spelled that right) – meaning “it is solved by walking” – came into being for a reason! :)

My best exercise is – housework! It’s not aerobic but it burns calories AND gets the house cleaner than it ever used to be since I started doing a lot more for the exercise benefit.

Marcia Purse
About.com Guide to Bipolar Disorder

August 7, 2008 at 12:54 pm
(8) copd says:

Marcia, love the saying, where did that originate from?

August 7, 2008 at 10:50 pm
(9) Susan Adcox says:

I love water aerobics! I feel as if I am just playing in the water, but it is great exercise. We usually do about 35 minutes of cardio, then do some stretching, weight work or core strengthening to add up to an hour’s worth of exercise. It is amazing what you can do in the water! And it just feels like fun. It’s good for people with balance issues because you really can’t fall. And participants can exercise vigorously or keep it at a lower level. It’s really the perfect exercise as far as I am concerned.

August 8, 2008 at 1:48 pm
(10) copd says:

That is so funny that you mention water aerobics. My mom, who is 80 yrs old and who lost my father in 1999, now fills here time with many different things to keep her life busy and to stay in shape. She just joined a water aerobic class, and she never learned how to swim. Anyways, I think water aerobics would be an excellent choice for people with COPD, who are not oxygen dependent. Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

August 10, 2008 at 12:48 pm
(11) Clara says:

I love yoga and pilates. I don’t have COPD but doing yoga helped me tremendously during recent health problems. I love that it can be adapted to everyone, whatever ability and energy level you have.